Win7 Virtio NIC ' media unoperational' after ~12-24hrs uptime

fortechitsolutions

Renowned Member
Jun 4, 2008
Hi, a 'quick fun' question: I've got a Win7 VM running on current ProxmoxVE (2.6.35 kernel) with VirtIO Hard drive and NIC configured.

It seems, after ~12-24 hours of uptime, the NIC spontaneously seizes up. VNC console on the system, cmd line, "ipconfig", tells me "Media Unoperational". If I try to disable and then enable the NIC, either via GUI or cmd-line "netsh" command (ie, netsh interface set interface "Local Area Connection" DISABLED) - it simply hangs on the command - and does not disable.

If I reboot the VM, it comes up perfectly fine and the NIC is operational - until it seizes up the next time. (however: to shut the VM down - I just had to give it a hard "stop" because the shutdown process was .. not proceeding after ~10 minutes of telling me, "shutting down.." ).

I'm using the latest VirtIO driver linked from the ProxVE wiki/ as per the fedora binary ISO download, URL: http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/ - current version is 1.1.16 dated 15-jun-2011 I believe)

I'm going to flip the machine over to e1000 intel NIC for now and see if things run better. Certainly have a stable connection is critical... even if some performance loss from Virtio ->e1000 gig nic. I was just curious if other folks have experience with this. I've heard in forums that earlier VirtIO drives had issues with freezing up, but had the impression this issue had been addressed in this current/latest driver.. so was curious if there was any feedback.

Many thanks!

Tim

Last edited:
hi, we have the same troubles with proxmox 1.8 and virtio in windows 2008. we are disabled all options in windows (net device settings) and now windows works fine.

Hello,

I work under Windows from the beginning with the Intel e1000 NIC.
For about one year 24/7 without (such) problems ...
The speed I have never been tested. (Is not important for this machine ;-)
Likewise, I've never worked under Windows with the virtio drivers.

Greetings,
maxprox

I have the exact same issue with a KVM win 2008 R2 64bit guest using Virtio nic.
I am using the latest Fedora drivers.

Using any other nic does not have this problem.

pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.8-19 (pve-manager/1.8/6379)
running kernel: 2.6.35-2-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.35: 1.8-13
pve-kernel-2.6.35-2-pve: 2.6.35-13
qemu-server: 1.1-31
pve-firmware: 1.0-12
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-19
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.28-1pve1
vzdump: 1.2-15
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.15.0-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-6

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!