Win2k8r2 dies when "Microsoft Windows 7/2008" profile is set

375gnu

Jun 17, 2014
When "Microsoft Windows 7/2008" profile is selected on OS tab during VM creation, then qemu will be invoked with options -cpu kvm64,hv_spinlocks=0xffff,hv_relaxed,+lahf_lm,+x2apic,+sep -global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=discard, so when VM is started Windows dies with bsod code 0x5d (Unsupported processor). But when CPU is set to `host' it works as it should. May be this problem should be listed in wiki.

works here.

When "Microsoft Windows 7/2008" profile is selected on OS tab during VM creation, then qemu will be invoked with options -cpu kvm64,hv_spinlocks=0xffff,hv_relaxed,+lahf_lm,+x2apic,+sep -global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=discard, so when VM is started Windows dies with bsod code 0x5d (Unsupported processor). But when CPU is set to `host' it works as it should. May be this problem should be listed in wiki.

what is your host kernel ?

#uname -a

?

(and what is the windows version in your vm ?)

what is your host kernel ?
2.6.32-29-pve
(and what is the windows version in your vm ?)
2008R2 Standart Actually, on proxmox it dies even with CPU set to `host', i can't notice actual bsod code cause VM reboots immediately. I was experimenting on my Debian Wheezy desktop with QEMU 2.0 taken from backports to find solution. CPU on proxmox: cpu family : 6 model : 58 model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz stepping : 9

I have several Windows Systems as VM in PVE, all are working very well with CPU set to `host'.

Do you turn off completely the VM after each change for that the changes take effect?
And tried to use cpu "qemu64"?

[SOLVED] Re: Win2k8r2 dies when "Microsoft Windows 7/2008" profile is set

I'm sorry, but it was not a Proxmox issue, it was issue with OS inside VM. Clean Win2k8r2 runs as it should.

Re: [SOLVED] Re: Win2k8r2 dies when "Microsoft Windows 7/2008" profile is set

I'm sorry, but it was not a Proxmox issue, it was issue with OS inside VM. Clean Win2k8r2 runs as it should.

Do you known exactly what was the problem ?
proxmox use hyperv optimizations, so maybe windows was not updated ?

There was a OS loader installed inside to "activate" system. It was causing problems.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!