Win2012R2 hosting MSSQL 2014 disk format

andy77

Jul 6, 2016
Hi,
I would like to virtualize my Win2012R2 server that hosts a lot of MSSQL 2014 DBs and am now thinking about which disk format to use. Therefore I read a few best practice threads in wiki to use for MSSQL 2008 RAW format instead of QCOW2 because of performance. Is this still valid for MSSQL 2014? Because the snapshot feature of course only in qcow2 available and not in raw.

I use a NVMe SSD Raid1 mirror so the node itself has enough IO.

Regards

When you are useing PVE4.2 the default storage is thinlvm, so it uses RAW. It's much more better then qcow2. And you have the full performance for you SQL Server.

Hi, thank you for your info. I did not had no expirience with lvm so I am now testing it.

I have now reinstalled my test node and have a thin-pool on that node. This node is in a cluster of 4 nodes that do not have lvm in use.
Now when I try to add a new storage in "webgui/datacenter/add-lvm-thin" I get a timeout.
http://prntscr.com/ceb9d1

And the volume group vg0 is only available (visible) when the webgui is started form the specific node that has the lvm configured.
When I start webgui from another node, then I do not even see the volume group.

Do all nodes have to have the lvm configured to work on just one node?

OK, now after a reboot it seems to be able to add the thin-lvm pool to the node.

But as I said before this is only visible when I open the gui on the node that has lvm enabled. Is this normal behaivour?

Thx a lot

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!