Win11 VM opening many tabs at once crashes proxmox host

I think mine crashed when I stressed the RAM paging heavily but at least it does not crash on every single browser load now.

Reactions: RedKage
I think mine crashed when I stressed the RAM paging heavily but at least it does not crash on every single browser load now.
I just had my first crash with this custom CPU we made. Yep, it's way less often, but the issue still exists.

maybe a dumb question, but did either of you run a memtest already? maybe it's just bad ram?

otherwise there could be some fault in the cpu too, so current microcode + bios upgrade could also help

Reactions: Snuupy
otherwise there could be some fault in the cpu too, so current microcode + bios upgrade could also help
current bios is v1.09 (latest @ https://www.minisforum.com/new/support?lang=en#/support/page/download/79), but there have been known to be BIOS issues in the past for this chipset (not just this particular minipc model).

I looked up the microcode files to make sure there are no updates:

Code:
# grep microcode /proc/cpuinfo | uniq
microcode       : 0xa704104

root@SnuUM780:/# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 25
model           : 116
model name      : AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS w/ Radeon 780M Graphics
stepping        : 1
microcode       : 0xa704104

- `vendor_id`: AuthenticAMD / 0x8
- `cpu family`: 25 / 0x19
- `model`: 116 / 0x74
- `stepping`: 0x1

there is no file named "xxx74F01" so there is currently no available microupdate for the 7840 cpu. (following https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocodes/tree/master/AMD from https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/15xvpfg/updating_your_amd_microcode_in_linux/)

That is why when installing amd64-microcode (via wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free-firmware/a/amd64-microcode/amd64-microcode_3.20231019.1_amd64.deb) there is no entry in dmesg saying that the microcode has loaded, because there is no firmwire file for this model, i.e. there are no updates even after following https://cyrusyip.org/en/post/2023/01/31/install-microcode-on-proxmox/ .

Maybe there will be a microcode update in the future, but I don't see one for now.

I just had my first crash with this custom CPU we made. Yep, it's way less often, but the issue still exists.
hopefully with software updates in the future it can become more stable, I'm considering reverting back to a custom CPU of x86-64-v4 base + svm

Reactions: RedKage
hi, new here. Found this thread looking for information about those miniPCs as I want to run proxmox on them. Do you still experience crashes? if not, what did you do to stop them?

Thank you.The one you has intel CPU, however. The one problematic is using AMD CPU which is way cheaper and less power hungry, thus better for home usage.

AMD CPU which is way cheaper and less power hungry
Yes (slightly) more expensive, but hate to disappoint you their official TDP's are similar. See here & here.
However we all know that TDP's are one thing and real-world use; quite another.
But let me tell you that my system idles around 10-11 watts. 2 LXCs 2 VMs usually on. In my experience that's hard to beat.

Last edited:
learning something everyday, right? I wrote I am looking for information here and this is exacly what I got.
edit: and its chaper :) I was all wrong

Last edited:
hopefully with software updates in the future it can become more stable, I'm considering reverting back to a custom CPU of x86-64-v4 base + svm

Well that's exactly what I have been doing for 1 month now. Not a single crash.
There's definitely an issue with this CPU when we use `host`
Which is kinda bad since I need GPU passthrough

Just to add another data point to this issue - I have a Thinkpad (P16v Gen1) with a 7940HS, running Proxmox (latest non-subscription version 8.1.4) and was experiencing the same issue - random resets every once a while. I have a single Windows VM running on this machine with other VMs being Linux.

Because of the issue, I decided to have the motherboard replaced since I thought it might be a hardware issue. While waiting for the tech to arrive, I found this post! So, the motherboard has been replaced (likely not needed), and I changed the Windows VM's CPU type to x86-64-v4. No random resets anymore. Changing two things at a time isn't the best troubleshooting method, but regardless, I think the issue was, indeed, related to the CPU type being set to "host" on this machine.

I decided to have the motherboard replaced
I'm imagining this was under warranty (computer is under a year old). You cost Lenovo some bucks! They/you could test the machine under a native bare metal OS to see if it suffers the same random resets.
Just ranting .....

Last edited:
I'm imagining this was under warranty (computer is under a year old). You cost Lenovo some bucks! They/you could test the machine under a native bare metal OS to see if it suffers the same random resets.
Just ranting .....
Yes, under their premium warranty. I've given enough money to Lenovo that I don't exactly feel bad - plus they were willing to do it. I didn't have time to deal with testing, honestly, much less waiting, sometimes days, for it to reset.

Reactions: gfngfn256
Yes (slightly) more expensive, but hate to disappoint you their official TDP's are similar. See here & here.
However we all know that TDP's are one thing and real-world use; quite another.
But let me tell you that my system idles around 10-11 watts. 2 LXCs 2 VMs usually on. In my experience that's hard to beat.
how did you (or you guys in general using those exact miniPC model) design your network ? you directly connect hosts using 2,5GbE interfaces (physically like switch stack) and use USB-Lan-1Gbps/2.5Gbps additional adapters for VM traffic? or with switches and one network is then shared for data/VM network traffic?

I don't cluster. Just run 2 hosts separately. Have backups on both. No big deal to restore/transfer manually. I know I don't enjoy auto-migration / HA, but in my environment its just what I need. One of them isn't even powered 24/7.

I just connect my minipc to the router itself lol
don't have a gigantic setup yet so it's fine

I'm currently working on igpu passthrough (of the 780M) to a linux guest to try ROCm.

Last edited:
Running a Minisforum UM780 XTX (Ryzen 7840HS - Zen 4) here. Came across your thread because someone in the unofficial Proxmox Discord mentioned using CPU Type = host had been known to cause problems with random server reboots with absolutely no trace of any problems in journalctl logs.

After reading this thread I updated my Windows 11 VM to use the following CPU settings and have had zero crashes since making the change.

This is the full cpu line in my vm config: cpu: x86-64-v4,hidden=1,flags=+virt-ssbd;+amd-ssbd;+aes

Running a Minisforum UM780 XTX (Ryzen 7840HS - Zen 4) here. Came across your thread because someone in the unofficial Proxmox Discord mentioned using CPU Type = host had been known to cause problems with random server reboots with absolutely no trace of any problems in journalctl logs.

After reading this thread I updated my Windows 11 VM to use the following CPU settings and have had zero crashes since making the change.

This is the full cpu line in my vm config: cpu: x86-64-v4,hidden=1,flags=+virt-ssbd;+amd-ssbd;+aes

This probably works because you are not using the type "Host" in this config.
I am still using `x86-64-v4` without any crashes since my last post.
But I still can't use Host type CPU. I mean I don't dare. Didn't retry since then.

Because of this
- I can't do any nested virtualization, like installing docker or hyper-v
- I can't passthrough a GPU

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!