Win11 console doesnt work when Display is SPICE

ml1941

Renowned Member
May 12, 2017
18
0
66
46
I have a Windows 11 VM that was working using SPICE. It was off for a few days, and when I started it today, it starts without any warnings/errors, but then I cannot access the console. Using SPICE, remote-viewer connects to the graphics server but the display is just black. Using noVNC, I get "Guest has not initialized the display (yet)."

If I stop the VM and change Display to Virtio-GPU, I can connect via VNC and SPICE.

I could have sworn this was working a few days ago--seems like something in the guest, however that said, I'd expect to at least see the PROXMOX UEFI/BIOS display correctly as windows boots. Has anyone seen this behavior before?

PVE 9.2.21

Guest:
- 8 GB RAM
- Processors 4
- BIOS OVMF
- Display SPICE memory=512
- machine pc-q35-11.0+pve2
 
For me, SPICE (qxl) only works up to 128MB (memory=128). More graphics memory only works with VirtIO-GPU but then there is a lot of tearing on video playback.
 
Hmm, you are right. I am pretty sure I had it this way before, but it is entirely possible I had it at 512 when testing Virtio-GPU and didn't switch it back back when changing ti back to SPICE.

BTW, is this documented? I guess I would have expected the GUI to have a warning about 512 when configured with SPICE since it fails so terribly.