Willing to upgrade - recommended hardware?

Weird. Well, at least you figured out a workaround and got things working. Sounds like a win. :)

Hopefully the problem does turn out to just be kernel related, with the USB dongles being bulletproof from here on.

Last edited:
UPDATE 2 - Unfortunately, the same random freezes happen also with kernel 6.5.
Any other theory? I would hate going back to esxi!
thanks again!

Two possibilities immediately spring to mind. Is the irqbalance package installed, and the service running?

From rough memory it's not installed by default as not every installation needs it. But it's probably worth adding to see if it fixes the problem.

If that doesn't work (and it's unlikely to hurt anything), I guess the next thing to try is seeing if there's info available about what's causing the pauses. It may turn out to be something (other than irqs) having an issue which might be resolvable using a bit of configuration.

With these freezes, are they a permanent hang needing a reboot, or are they more a temporary lock up that comes good after a bit, or something else?

Two possibilities immediately spring to mind. Is the irqbalance package installed, and the service running?

From rough memory it's not installed by default as not every installation needs it. But it's probably worth adding to see if it fixes the problem.

If that doesn't work (and it's unlikely to hurt anything), I guess the next thing to try is seeing if there's info available about what's causing the pauses. It may turn out to be something (other than irqs) having an issue which might be resolvable using a bit of configuration.

With these freezes, are they a permanent hang needing a reboot, or are they more a temporary lock up that comes good after a bit, or something else?
The freezes are permanent hangs needing a reboot. No log entries. Consistent with the issue reported for kernel 6.8, except that it happens also with 6.5.

Damn. That can mean any relevant kernel messages aren't getting saved to disk, which makes things harder. :(

It's kind of a long shot, but I'd _probably_ look at how easy it is to set up a remote syslog machine for receiving kernel messages over the network.

That's not foolproof either, but at least gives some possibility that if there are relevant kernel messages being generated you might be able to see them then figure out WTF is going on.

Damn. That can mean any relevant kernel messages aren't getting saved to disk, which makes things harder. :(

It's kind of a long shot, but I'd _probably_ look at how easy it is to set up a remote syslog machine for receiving kernel messages over the network.

That's not foolproof either, but at least gives some possibility that if there are relevant kernel messages being generated you might be able to see them then figure out WTF is going on.
I could try but I don’t see why it would give additional info compared to the local journal.
The kernel hangs with no logs are widely reported, and I agree it is a significant issue. Frankly, I can’t rely on this thing. If it hangs while away, I would have issues even reentering the house..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!