Will this migration plan work?

dtiKev

Apr 7, 2018
I have a small cluster of three running 6.4. The reason for three was so that one host could receive backups and run lower resource guests and the third (a NUC) was there just to have an odd number to ensure quorum. I'm planning to update to 7.1 and add a proxmox backup server but don't think I need a cluster any longer as the only critical guest still left could be spun up on a physical machine and setup fairly quickly. The main purpose of the rest of the guests is testing.

With that in mind I'd like to setup a new 7.1 and then backup and move the guests. Would this work:

1. Add an SMB2 share to a NAS on the current main 6.4 server and push backups to it
2. Add the same share to the 7.1 and restore from said backups
3. Point the 7.1 to a PBS 2.1 and target it for future backups
4. ???
5. Profit :)

I'm a little scared to do the cli apt upgrade of the main server mainly because it's been around quite a while and already gone through the upgrade from 4 to 5. Also, I'm wanting to change up the disk array structure and seem to remember having issues when the guests setting weren't identical on the host that it's moved too. I'm hoping/assuming backup/restore might work around that.

Thanks for any pointers,
dtiK

Yes, that sounds like a good plan.
Backup/Restore on a new install is always the safer option. Just make sure you don't use the samba share as disk storage for both nodes simultaneously. But as you only plan on backing up from your current cluster, and restoring to your standalone node, this should not be an issue.

Great - thanks for the reply.

As this will be a 100% new install on the 7.1 machine do I need to create the guests with the same settings manually or is there a restore process that will handle the config as well? Backup & Restore doesn't seem to touch on this and Upgrade from 6 to 7 seems to point to copying all config and storage info from the 6.x server.

If my storage layout isn't the same on the new 7.1 how would I work around this?

Backups contain the VM/CT config as well as the disks. So restoring them will also restore the config.
When restoring via the CLI (qmrestore) you can specify a target storage.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!