will existing cluster stack work?

L

lastguru

Hi,

First of all, thanks for the great product!

I am looking forward with much excitement to the upcoming Proxmox 2.0. However there is one worry for me: the cluster stack. Right now I am using corosync+pacemaker configuration myself between two proxmox 1.9 machines and they work great. I have written some scripts and resource managers for this thing and I am pretty happy with the result. However, the upcoming Proxmox 2.0 will have the same stuff preinstalled, and, i assume, preconfigured...

The question is: whether Proxmox 2.0 will interfere with my current config? I assume I will setup my servers as a cluster in 2.0, and my config right now provides HA for OpenVZ, which, as far as I understand, 2.0 does not provide, so it gives me hope that both configurations (mine and proxmox) will be able to coexist? Or am I mistaken?

Thanks,
Dmitry

Well, the 2.0 cluster stack configures corosync and cman for you. And we plan to use rgmanager. Anyways, if you have a working resource agent it should be easy to adopt that (but i do not know you exact setup).

won't pacemaker conflict with cman/rgmanager? I've never had them on the same machine, so I have no idea, although I found one (single) reference from a developer that they *should* be able to coexist :D (and a warning in the manual that they shouldn't be used together). the thing is that i have a resource agent, which, i suppose is for pacemaker (and i don't see any problem with pacemaker for now), so i will need to rewrite it?

well, yeah, i can understand that - i am using proxmox in a custom and unsupported configuration to achieve my custom goals of dual (active-active) openvz failover on a shared storage, and of course i cannot force you to use any other solution instead of the one you have chosen. i was just asking for pointers, whether you think that my existing config will be able to coexist with proxmox, or i will need to rework either of them...

i was just asking for pointers, whether you think that my existing config will be able to coexist with proxmox, or i will need to rework either of them...

Well, AFAIK there was some activity on pacemaker to make it work with cman - but I do not know the actual status of that work.

Do you you a complex pacemaker configuration or one without many dependencies?

it has only drbd and filesystem as dependencies - everything else is done within the resource monitor or in other scripts.

Well, I guess we can make that work with 2.0 too. I just have no time to work on that now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!