Will be installing Proxmox soon.. wanna check some config options

sgtfoo

Apr 5, 2012
So I'll be using Proxmox 2.1 very soon to turn a newly built machine into my one and only Host hypervisor.

- 32GB RAM, 6-core CPU, 6x SATA6Gbps + 2x SATA3Gbps, 74GB Raptor OS drive, 7TB of drive space.
- add-on dual-port NIC, so 3 Gigabit NICS alltogether, for bonding (without a managed switch)
- I don't intend on doing any RAID as I use VMs within this box as a on-site backup at home and the offsite is elsewhere via transfer/deliver and internet.

So can anyone make any suggestions for optimal installation/setup/config?
- For VMs, I'll have 4-6 Windows installations (KVM) and 4-6 OpenVZ-based Linux and 1-3 KVM-based Linux

I'd like the motherboard's NIC to be "primary", or eth0 and the dual-NIC card to come afterwards.
I'd like the static IP set to ##.##.1.4
One of my VMs is a Fedora acting as DHCP and DNS... Is there a suggested method for this approach?
I'd like the DVDROM drive accessible to VMs.
The internal drives (6-8 of them) are all I have for storage and VMs -- any suggestions for config are greatly appreciated.

Is anything automatic on install? Should I preset anything?

Note: I WILL NOT be adding a second node.
:confused:

So I'll be using Proxmox 2.1 very soon to turn a newly built machine into my one and only Host hypervisor.

- 32GB RAM, 6-core CPU, 6x SATA6Gbps + 2x SATA3Gbps, 74GB Raptor OS drive, 7TB of drive space.
- add-on dual-port NIC, so 3 Gigabit NICS alltogether, for bonding (without a managed switch)
- I don't intend on doing any RAID as I use VMs within this box as a on-site backup at home and the offsite is elsewhere via transfer/deliver and internet.

So can anyone make any suggestions for optimal installation/setup/config?
- For VMs, I'll have 4-6 Windows installations (KVM) and 4-6 OpenVZ-based Linux and 1-3 KVM-based Linux

I'd like the motherboard's NIC to be "primary", or eth0 and the dual-NIC card to come afterwards.
I'd like the static IP set to ##.##.1.4
One of my VMs is a Fedora acting as DHCP and DNS... Is there a suggested method for this approach?
I'd like the DVDROM drive accessible to VMs.
The internal drives (6-8 of them) are all I have for storage and VMs -- any suggestions for config are greatly appreciated.

Is anything automatic on install? Should I preset anything?

Note: I WILL NOT be adding a second node.
:confused:
Hi,
often the bottleneck on vitualization is the IO-Performance. I suggest an good raid-controller.
The kvm-VMs can you install on lvm-storage - best performance (less overhead). For the openvz you need an real filesystem, use here the place of the standard installation.

Nics can you choose like you want (but some drivers are better than others...).

Udo

32GB RAM, 6-core CPU, 6x SATA6Gbps + 2x SATA3Gbps, 74GB Raptor OS drive, 7TB of drive space.
Some Controller will slow down to SATA2 if you mix SATA3 with SATA2. Make a test to make it sure

In my experience, usually the PCI Card become eth0, you may take it off. After finish the installation then put the PCI Card.

Put DHCP inside VM is not a good idea, you may put the DHCP in to Router (the idea is put it outside VM) or other Server

You may create a single LVM from several HDDs, but to make my live easy when face HDD failure I like to avoid single LVM. I like to mount each HDD as separate /mnt/sdx.

- What's wrong with having a VM as the DHCP?

- For mounting drives seperately, would I just add them after install?

Anyone have other input?

Several drives.. some are WD Blues, SG Barracudas, WD Greens.. (only differences is 7200RPM vs 5900 RPM)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!