Wildcards for --include-dev

May 18, 2019
Varies
While using proxmox-backup-client to backup a standard LXD/LXC host and it's containers, I see the following warnings of content being skipped:

Code:
skipping mount point: "snap/core/14447"
skipping mount point: "snap/core20/1778"
skipping mount point: "snap/lxd/24323"
skipping mount point: "snap/snapd/17950"

which is to be expected, since it skips mountpoints by default.

I could manually include in the backup script arguments such as `--include-dev /snap/core20/current`, but this will become a pain to manage as you add and remove snaps. It seems that I cannot use wilcards to designate mountpoints for `--include-dev` -- it only takes full paths.

Long story short, is there any way I can work around this limitation for `--include-dev` which will not change as snaps get added/removed?

TIA

Last edited:
Hi,
maybe you can use --all-file-systems and --exclude instead? With exclusion, globs/wildcards are supported, see here. Exclusion can also be done via .pxarexclude files containing the relevant globs. Note that entries not starting with / will also match recursively in each sub-directory!

Reactions: Proxygen
Hi,
maybe you can use --all-file-systems and --exclude instead? With exclusion, globs/wildcards are supported, see here. Exclusion can also be done via .pxarexclude files containing the relevant globs. Note that entries not starting with / will also match recursively in each sub-directory!
Thanks Fiona. "entries not starting with / will also match recursively in each sub-directory" applies to --exclude also or only .pxarexclude?

Thanks Fiona. "entries not starting with / will also match recursively in each sub-directory" applies to --exclude also or only .pxarexclude?
Both. Also, please note that the arguments to --exclude with a leading slash will match relative to the archive's root, not the full filesystem path on the host.

Reactions: Proxygen
Hi,
I did use
Code:
--all-file-systems
and it still skipped
Code:
/var/snap/snapname/snapversion/* /var/snap/snapname/current/*

What gives?

Can you share the output of proxmox-backup-client version, the command you are using for the backup and the output of the command (feel free to shorten it if there is a lot of similar/repeated output).

3.0.2, using --all-file-systems --exclude /proc --exclude /dev --exclude /run --exclude /sys
Code:
--all-file-systems --exclude /proc --exclude /dev --exclude /run --exclude /sys

IAT5H7g.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!