Why is this ups nut client asking for this information?

fletch

Aug 23, 2019
Trying to get proxmox to monitor the ups on my synology nas and running into problems finding decent clear documentation.

https://diktiosolutions.eu/en/synology/synology-ups-nut-en/
This link for setting up the server side says this:

The configuration files on the Synology NAS are found here:​

/usr/syno/etc/ups, which you can access via a terminal

upsd.conf

upsd.users

ups.conf

After changing the file you can reload the configuration:

upsd -c reload

Ok that is for the server side.

I used this to setup the client:
https://gist.github.com/InQuize/ab99feb66822dc1a975c

Yet when I try to load the client in proxmox, I get this error:

upsmon start
Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.7.4
fopen /var/run/nut/upsmon.pid: No such file or directory
Unable to use old-style MONITOR line without a username
Convert it and add a username to upsd.users - see the documentation
Fatal error: unusable configuration

I have a user in upsd.users so I have no idea why it doesn't even try to connect,

Anybody have any clear instructions?

Thank you.

I found others with the same error and one person said it is because the client is broken and requires a password whether it exists or not.

on the other hand,
I can poll it with this command and get info from the ups like this

upsc ups@192.168.1.10

Init SSL without certificate database
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 10
battery.charge.warning: 50
battery.date: not set
battery.mfr.date: 2007/09/26
battery.runtime: 570
battery.runtime.low: 120
battery.type: PbAc
battery.voltage: 13.6
battery.voltage.nominal: 12.0
device.mfr: APC
device.model: Back-UPS ES 650
device.serial: 3B0739X10937
device.type: ups
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 5
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.version: DSM6-2-25364-191230
driver.version.data: APC HID 0.95
driver.version.internal: 0.38
input.sensitivity: high
input.transfer.high: 139
input.transfer.low: 88
input.transfer.reason: input voltage out of range
input.voltage: 122.0
input.voltage.nominal: 115
ups.beeper.status: disabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 20
ups.firmware: 842.J1 .D
ups.firmware.aux: J1
ups.load: 16
ups.mfr: APC
ups.mfr.date: 2007/09/26
ups.model: Back-UPS ES 650
ups.productid: 0002
ups.serial: 3B0739X10937
ups.status: OL
ups.timer.reboot: 0
ups.timer.shutdown: -1
ups.vendorid: 051d
root@prox:~#

They were right it was that &&*(* client needing a fake password.
Now I just need to figure out how to start upsmon automatically on prox bootup but it's working at least manually now.

Hi!

I'm just trying to setup nut as client on proxmox as well. I think there was a success with my debian based PC. On the PC i had to reboot the machine to load the nut-client.service. Maybe try out these: "systemctl enable nut-client.service", "service nut-client start", and check the status of the nut-client.service ("systemctl status nut-client.service"). I checked on the PC and nut-client.service is loaded and active even after a reboot.

May i ask where did you have to enter a fake password? I haven't read any of this. Maybe if you could add a link to me.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi!

I'm just trying to setup nut as client on proxmox as well. I think there was a success with my debian based PC. On the PC i had to reboot the machine to load the nut-client.service. Maybe try out these: "systemctl enable nut-client.service", "service nut-client start", and check the status of the nut-client.service ("systemctl status nut-client.service"). I checked on the PC and nut-client.service is loaded and active even after a reboot.

May i ask where did you have to enter a fake password? I haven't read any of this. Maybe if you could add a link to me.

Thanks!
It was on stack exchange. The guy was saying the client was buggy and would fail without some kind of password even if the system did not require it. I have redone my system 2 times since last week . First as a client , then as standalone and as of today as a server. If you wish, I can give you my setups that are working? I don't have the links from last week but I do have the ones that got me to stand alone and server.

You put the fake passwords in upsusers.conf. Here is my example below. The proxmox server is the master and one of my vm's acts as the client.

[upsmonitor]
password = YOUR_PASSWORD
upsmon master

[upsremote]
password = YOUR_PASSWORD
upsmon slave

I see. You're trying to use your proxmox as server, or at least as a standalone client. Maybe try out this method: [link], following the steps for pve1. My nut server is under pfsense. It was very easy to setup. Unfortunately i can't help to set up your proxmox as nut server, but i think the linked method should help you.

I see. You're trying to use your proxmox as server, or at least as a standalone client. Maybe try out this method: [link], following the steps for pve1. My nut server is under pfsense. It was very easy to setup. Unfortunately i can't help to set up your proxmox as nut server, but i think the linked method should help you.
Thanks but I am good now. The reason I went from client>standalone>server is because I had some good fortune over the holidays and ended up with several new ups's so my proxmox server now has it's own ups. I don't think they really need it, but I also have my main vm's setup as clients as well.
I am off work till Tuesday so using this time to tinker around and learn this software.
Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!