Why is one-to-many USB device attachment possible?

karypid

Mar 7, 2021
I have 2 VMs in my Proxmox: one has GPU passthrough for my main Linux desktop. The other is a Windows VM which I use for work (accessing my employer). I generally remote-desktop from Linux into the Windows VM with Remmina (it works great because it's basically a "localhost" connection) during work hours.

My question has to do with USB devices: I have a USB webcam is normally attached Windows VM all the time (for Zoom calls). Over this weekend I moved it to my desktop for personal use, then back to the Windows VM for use at work on Monday.

Today I spent a lot of time rebooting the Windows VM because the webcam did not work. To my surprise, the issue turned out to be that I had not removed the webcam from my personal Linux VM! In other words, the same webcam was attached to two VMs at the same time.

I am certain that I did not get any warning from Proxmox when I did this. I would expect that attaching a device to a second VM would pop up some error dialog (at least when you start the VM while the other one is running).

So I am assuming there may be some valid use case for this? Is there some scenario where a USB device can be attached to two running VMs and be useful? (hence why proxmox allows it?)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!