Why I cannot use a stp bridge to do a full mesh?

mgiammarco

Feb 18, 2010
Hi,
I have just read this:

mesh

And I do not understand why I cannot put simply a linux bridge with stp on.
I have done it and it works.

Mario

I do not understand. You can't do it, but you've done it ? That doesn't make a lot of sens. You can't do it through the GUI ? Well, it's an advanced options most users will never need to understand or set. You can always set it in /etc/network/interfaces manually

I explain better. In proxmox documentation I read that stp must be off. On proxmox created bridges I see they put stp off.
In this case stp must be on to avoid loops: the standard way to connect several servers without using switches is to put nics in bridges with stp on.
Now in the link above they use non standard ways (l3 routing?!?) to do the same thing you do with bridges.
It seems that proxmox developers do not want to use bridge and stp on.
So I ask: is there a real reason? Because I have tried in a test lab and it works. I would like to know all problems before putting it in production.

You can still enable stp in /etc/network/interfaces if so you want. All the SDN stuff, including l3 routing are for situations where simple bridges are not an option (eg, when you do not control the l2 between your nodes, so no VLAN. Or when your hostser doesn't provides QinQ etc.)

The main problem with spanning tree is convergence time. And, if proxmox vmbr bridge have spanning tree enabled, if you reboot a proxmox node, you'll have network errors during the convergence.

So, it's off by default for that.

But you can enable spanning tree if you really need it. (like for full mesh).

Another way, build layer3 point2point between each host, and use a vxlan to build the layer2.
(proxmox 6.2 have a new sdn feature (beta) with vxlan support)

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
I have chosen to use batman protocol and now I have a full mesh with all links in the server working (full bandwidth, no waste) and at level 2.
If you want to enhance wiki I can post details.

I have chosen to use batman protocol and now I have a full mesh with all links in the server working (full bandwidth, no waste) and at level 2.
If you want to enhance wiki I can post details.
Mario!

Can you share any details about this setup?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!