Why Does Proxmox Show So Much Memory In Use?

forbin

Dec 16, 2021
My PVE 7 server has 1 TB RAM. There are only 6 guests running. 4 of them have 16 GB RAM each, the other 2 have 2 GB RAM each. That works out to 68 GB total. Why does the summary screen in ProxMox show 452 GB RAM in use?

I guess you use ZFS. The ARC will use up to 50% of your RAM for caching by default. Search the Proxmox Wiki on how to limit the ARC size.

Last edited:
I guess you use ZFS. The ARC will use up to 50% of your RAM for caching by default. Search the Proxmox Wiki on how to limit the ARC size.
That is exactly right, I do use zfs! It's okay with me if zfs uses lots of ram for the ARC as long as it releases it when apps or VMs need it. Is that the expected behavior?

That is exactly right, I do use zfs! It's okay with me if zfs uses lots of ram for the ARC as long as it releases it when apps or VMs need it. Is that the expected behavior?
Yes, the ARC should shrink when RAM is needed. But if too much RAM is needed too fast, ZFS may have problems to free up the RAM in time. In such a case it might make sense to limit the ARC.

Anyone know if Proxmox GUI will ever be updated to properly show that the ARC memory is buffer and is not the same as "in use"? HTOP shows it that way, with ARC usage colored the same as other buffers. You can even add ARC specific counters to the display in HTOP. I feel like with how heavily integrated ZFS is in Proxmox, the GUI should pull out those stats.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!