Why are templates not available on all nodes using shared storage and cluster

naclosagc

Jul 1, 2022
Hi all

It does not make sense to me that templates, which are static, are not available on all nodes in a cluster on shared storage. In some cases, I would like to use linked clones to save space. It would seem like having the templates on all nodes would allow for migration of linked clone VMs between nodes. Is there some basic reason I am missing that this couldn't be done, or it is not a good idea? Thanks for any thoughts on this

Well, that worked. I was worried it was going to take "a lot of space" but for a 64GB default disk, it is taking about 4.5GB so it must only store used space for the template. Thanks.

Hi,
each guest including templates will always reside on a certain node, but you can just select whatever target node you like for the clone operation if you have shared storage.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!