Why are more ram used in Proxmox stat vs in real used vps ram?

StealthFantom2

Jun 20, 2024
Hello,
Proxmox screenshot:
1727117000157.png

And aaPanel webpanel screenshot:
1727117041697.png

In HTOP are 2,2GB ram used. Impossible 7,5GB used ram with OpenLiteSpeed server. What is wrong?

ZFS ARC? Proxmox Services? Memory ballooning on the VM? There might be lots of reasons.

What type of storage do you use? How is the VM configured?

Yes, memory ballooning are there checked. What is that?
I have used 20GB memory of 128GB ECC, so many free ram there.

All other have default Proxmox settings, I am novice there (before WmWare).

Memory ballooning can give unused ram back to proxmox to use for something else. This requires the guest agent to be installed in the VM and enabled in the VM options. If the agent is disabled or not installed then this will not work and the entire ram configured for the vm will be made available to the vm.
This is in fact similar to ESX without the VMWare tools installed.

Reactions: StealthFantom2
Wait, the server has 2x Xeon with 14 core (28x), 56HT. So need 2x2 core to set (with NUMA) instead of 1x4 (then set no NUMA)?
Yet is 1x4 with NUMA.
Activating NUMA in a VM only makes sense if I allocate a lot of cores or a lot of RAM and the RAM is required to be distributed between the physical CPUs.
But then the VM also requires 2 sockets to be configured.
In addition, the application is also required to be NUMA Aware, otherwise there are no advantages.
If I configure NUMA without having two sockets, some applications can run more slowly, so only activate required features.

I never configure NUMA below 8 cores or 25% of the RAM of the host.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!