Why 3 nodes for HA cluster?

welbers

Dec 31, 2011
Hello,

I'm sorry for the question. But why do I need at least 3 nodes for a HA cluster? This is stated in:

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/High_Availability_Cluster#System_requirements

In my opinion 2 nodes should be enough for active failover situations or am I wrong? I'm newby concerning clustering.

I love Promox and want to build a HA cluster with 2 nodes and a ZFS-based Nextena-Storage solution which acts as shared storage for all clients and data. The shared storage has a dual-10Gbit-nic and I want to put a 10Gbit-nic in every of the 2 nodes to have the best possible and fastes access. The storage should be accessible via iSCSI.

Is this solution possible or doesn't it work with Proxmox as HA cluster?

Thx in advance,
Andreas

Ok, I understand the idea.

But it should also be possible to avoid split-brain using redundant heartbeat-connections or not?

3 hosts is very expensive if I only need 2 hosts. Is it also possible to build HA-clustering in Proxmox if I use redundant heartbeat?

Ok, I understand the idea.

But it should also be possible to avoid split-brain using redundant heartbeat-connections or not?

3 hosts is very expensive if I only need 2 hosts. Is it also possible to build HA-clustering in Proxmox if I use redundant heartbeat?
Hi,
no you need an quorum disk - the server which see the quorum-disk has enough quorum for working if one server died (or has network trouble).

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!