Which UPS to get in my setup

jdruwe

Mar 13, 2020
I was running Proxmox on an Intel NUC for about 2 months until there was a sudden power outage
in my town which lasted for about 4 hours. When I rebooted after the outage it seemed like there were some issues with my SSD and for some reason my USB which was used for daily vm's/containers backups was broken. I reinstalled Proxmox on the SSD and ran some disk check and everything seems fine again (I threw the USB stick in the bin).

I want to avoid this issue in the future so that's why I am looking for a UPS. I found out that most people either use NUT or apcupsd to control a graceful shutdown of their Proxmox instance. I am not really proficient in hardware as I am mostly a software guy and that's why I am here asking for your help. In my current setup there is only a NUC running but In the future I might also include some Ubiquiti gear ( UniFi Dream Machine, ...) so I was wondering what requirements such UPS would need, I already found following models but I am not sure which would be sufficient:

All help is welcome!

It seems IMHO overkill. How often did power outages happen in the past? The death of the USB stick might just have been a coincidence.

With that said OFC, you can use a UPS. And if you go with one, it doesn't really matter which one you take. They just need to be supported by NUT or apcupsd. To properly shut down the NUC. But why not use a SSD with power loss protection? The data in memory will be lost but the SSD could write its cached data onto the chips. The same for the external backup drive.

Or another idea could be to repurpose an old laptop as a backup station. Since most of them also have wake-on-LAN, it could also stay powered off till the backup is needed. Or if you want to go more hobbyist style, then you could get a USB power and data splitter to hook up a USB battery bank to it. ;):D

It seems IMHO overkill. How often did power outages happen in the past? The death of the USB stick might just have been a coincidence.

With that said OFC, you can use a UPS. And if you go with one, it doesn't really matter which one you take. They just need to be supported by NUT or apcupsd. To properly shut down the NUC. But why not use a SSD with power loss protection? The data in memory will be lost but the SSD could write its cached data onto the chips. The same for the external backup drive.

Or another idea could be to repurpose an old laptop as a backup station. Since most of them also have wake-on-LAN, it could also stay powered off till the backup is needed. Or if you want to go more hobbyist style, then you could get a USB power and data splitter to hook up a USB battery bank to it. ;):D

I wasn't aware those type of ssd's even existed. I also posted on reddit and they said that if I went for a UPS I should get a pure sine wave which are a more expensive.

I wasn't aware those type of ssd's even existed. I also posted on reddit and they said that if I went for a UPS I should get a pure sine wave which are a more expensive.
They are commonly found in enterprise-class hardware. Sure it will cost more but I guess it is worth the price. In my personal home server, I prefer those over an extra UPS. A UPS needs a battery change, roughly every ~2 yrs. They may produces a little heat and maybe some noise. Also, the cheaper ones, have a loud beeper that is not configurable. There goes the good sleep. ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!