Which Nic will be used for Transfer/backup/etc?

1nerdyguy

Apr 17, 2014
So, I'm adding some networking cards to my cluster, by adding another 4 port intel to each host. I'll be bonding these 4 together, and making them slaves to the main bridge, vmbr0.

However, I also want to have a seperate management/backup/migration network, to make sure those tasks don't affect network activity for the VM's. These will be on the existing 2 nics, that are also bonded. Currently, they're attached to VMBR0 as well.

Where should I put which set of nics, to allow me a private network for transfer/backup/etc, as well as a seperate network for the vms?

Vlan'ing is not an option at this time, due to switch limitations.

Just remove your old bond from vmbr0, and configure it as a standalone interface with an IP address in /etc/network/interfaces

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!