Which backup rentention should I configure?

sectorchan

Oct 27, 2022
Hi,

I tried to get more information about the rentention configuration from the docs.
following situation and configuration:
Backup volume:
keep-daily <N> = 1

Backup job:
keep-weekly <N> = 1

Which rentention setting will be followed and be pruned?

Hi,
sorry, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by having a retention policy on the "Backup volume".
  • If you mean you have a retention policy on the storage (as configured in Proxmox VE), the retention policy from the job will override it.
  • If you are using PBS and you have a retention policy on the PBS server side, that will be applied independently of the one defined in the job.

Reactions: sectorchan
I need to apologize for my misleading information. Please allow me to rephrase, even when you already answered my question.
What happen when I configure inconsistence settings on the backup rentention. Which one will overwrite the other setting?

Datacenter -> Storage -> select a storage -> edit -> backup rentention
compared to
Datacenter -> Backup -> Add a job.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!