which AMD cpu is better for proxmox

Lip90

Dec 12, 2018
Hello people,

as the title suggests, I need your help for a moment.
I stand between the two CPUs for my Homelab. Which CPU do you think is better (performance vs efficiency)?

3700x (8 cores)
5600x (6 cores)

I think you should simply grab what you prefer. The difference between those both is the price...

I would probably go with 5800x if the money allows. After that probably personally 5600x, because simply newer...
But 3700x has better support in kernel 5.4 (ecc reporting)... 5600x needs kernel 5.11 to run more optimal.

However, both are good. Take the one you like and probably decide by the money you pay. Probably 3700, but with ssd raid 10 instead of ssd raid 5... (Cause you can buy one more ssd, while saved on cpu, or more ram... Both brings benefit) xD

EDIT: More threads will make more VMs (and the host) run more smoothly (at the same time). Zen 3 has better performance per thread than Zen 2. Proxmox support for Zen 3 if not perfect yet (search this forum). If you want to do PCIe passthrough, look for a X570 motherboard. If you need more PCIe lanes (for passthrough), look into ThreadRipper, EPYC, Xeon platforms. Make sure to get enough RAM to run all your VMs. Probably motherboard and memory will have more impact on your experience than the choice between 5600X and 3700X.

Last edited:
thx to all. i think i buy the 3700x. its only a homelab mit 4 VM and 3 lxc's

Is there a trick to installing Proxmox VE on Gigabyte Brix with an AMD processor? I have tried several times and each time after installation, the network will not work and ip is assigned.

Do you use the actual PVE 7.2 iso?
Because the 7.1 iso shipped with a kernel version that had a problem regarding AMD APUs with a somewhat stuck network after installation.

I think you should simply grab what you prefer. The difference between those both is the price...

I would probably go with 5800x if the money allows. After that probably personally 5600x, because simply newer...
But 3700x has better support in kernel 5.4 (ecc reporting)... 5600x needs kernel 5.11 to run more optimal.

However, both are good. Take the one you like and probably decide by the money you pay. Probably 3700, but with ssd raid 10 instead of ssd raid 5... (Cause you can buy one more ssd, while saved on cpu, or more ram... Both brings benefit) xD
5800X doesn't make much sense. Got one here in the workstation and its always thermal throttling at 90 deg C (got a big 2x 120mm tower cooler) because it uses the same 142W like the 5900X and 5950X but only got one chiplet, so basically same heat but just half the surface for cooling. And the 5900X also would offer a way better bang for the buck (12 core for 400 bucks instead of 8 cores for 300).

Reactions: leopoly930

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!