Where to install PBS?

Dec 19, 2020
Hi!
I have a small PVE-Cluster with 3 nodes, 10 VMs and 4 LXC. (2,5 TB in Total)
For storage I just switched to SSD-based CEPH, which running is really smooth!
I changed my backup to use PBS since two weeks, I really much like it. Currently it is installed as a virtual machine on my Synology NAS, using it NFS storage for backups. But I already noticed that it is lacking resources, verifying backup takes long and uses much CPU.

Will it be a better choice to install PBS direct on one of the PVE nodes? I can still use the same NFS storage on the NAS as backup space.
I read it is not recommended, but what are the disadvantages?

Or should I better install a new LXC for PBS? That way I can also use the NFS storage on the NAS.

Or should I better invest in a new, more performant NAS and keep the PBS right there?

Thanks for your input!

Currently it is installed as a virtual machine on my Synology NAS, using it NFS storage for backups. But I already noticed that it is lacking resources, verifying backup takes long and uses much CPU.
Hi,
the bottleneck for such setups is typically the network share. It is recommended to use dedicated hardware with fast SSD based storage for Proxmox Backup Server hosts, see https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/installation.html#recommended-server-system-requirements
This also reduces the risk of not being able to restore from backups because the network share might not be available/reachable.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!