Where does proxmox get memory usage info?

Jan 26, 2011
I just noticed that a few of my OpenVZ containers show memory usage of around 1.6GBs of ram (on the Proxmox virtual machines display). I wouldn't think much of it, but one of the containers in question is clone of containers that normally use less than 300MBs, and this clone isn't running anything different than the ones using less than 300MBs. I can't find any process inside the container that using any significant amount of ram. I tried restarting the container and it almost immediately shoots back up to 1.6GBs.

Any ideas on how I can find what's using the ram?

Thanks,

Curtis

I guess I should have mentioned that I did try the obvious things such as ps and top... but, like I said, I didn't find any processes that were using a significant amount of ram... nor did I see any processes that were not running on the other containers that are using less than 300MBs of ram. So, it seems that there is one or more hidden processes... is there a way to run a ps from the physical host that filters out just the processes from a certain container?

Curtis

try vzps

# vzps -E <VMID> auxw

Oops... I get a Segmentation fault when I try to run that. I suppose that's because of the kernel I'm running?

# uname -a
Linux cxrt18 2.6.32-4-pve #1 SMP Fri Nov 26 06:42:28 CET 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Oh... I see:

http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/4692-vztop-and-vzps-quot-Segmentation-fault-quot

So, I ran this:

apt-get install vzprocps

...which fixed the problem. I'm also happy to report that I found the thread that was using the memory (and it wasn't hidden after all, I had somehow missed it).

Thanks for the help. :)

Curtis

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!