Where are the machines stored in ZFS pool?

Alternativende

Renowned Member
Aug 27, 2015
Hello community,
i have a silly sounding question, but when using a ZFS-pool where do i find the actual virtual hard drive file? Under which path?

Well maybe im blind, but i have a zfs-pool and i couldn´t find the vmdisk on /NAMEOFZPOOL/.
/var/lib/vz/images is empty.

Can someone give me a hint?

Greetings

Last edited:
VM disks on ZFS are not stored in a filesystem dataset but in datasets of the type volume. Those provide a block device. Therefore they do not show up in the filesystem.

You can see them by running zfs list and will notice that they lack a mount point. They are exposed as block device in /dev/zdX. Since a numercial ID is hard to match against the actual dataset, you have symlinks in /dev/zvol/<pool>/... which you can see with ls -l /dev/zvol/<pool>/

I hope this clears it up a bit :)

Or in short: There are no files, because those virtual disks aren't part of any filesystem. If you want a file for backup reasons you could create an image file of those zvols, the same way you would do it if you want to create a block level copy of a real physical disk.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!