when to know if your system is maxing out.

nttec

Jun 1, 2016
how you would you know if your system is maxing out?

my CPU usage is at 3%
my Memory is at 35%
my Storage is at 11%

but recently I am experiencing Too many open file error, causing some vm and container not to run

I tried to increase ulimit of 1024 with ulimit -a 2048 and I am not sure how to make it permanent

I also tried to increase file.max value double the number but my host end up freezing.

Right now I am not sure if the system is maxing out or how to increase that ulimit permanently

Currently I have 6 machine 3 of this are use in a cluster 2 is the host and 1 is managing everything.

@Alwin - I actually did this, but my system freeze and needed a reboot to be able to login again..

Code:
echo 65536 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max

how you would you know if your system is maxing out?

imo, using monitoring tools such as check_mk or zabbix etc. is the most convenient way to keep this stuff under control.

checking logs for weird activities and monitoring system health in general is important, and this can be achieved in a lot of different ways.

how to increase that ulimit permanently
this is mentioned on the page @Alwin sent

I actually did this, but my system freeze and needed a reboot to be able to login again..

see here[0] for more information as to why this could be happening. you might need to set a lower limit in order to avoid such problems. this is all dependent on your hardware specs of your systems.

[0]: https://serverfault.com/a/355955

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!