when removing a Directory Storage for a drive the Directory still stays in /mnt/pve/$directory

Spirog

Jan 31, 2022
Chicago, IL
Hello,
testing a couple different setups for a new drive I installed. first I created a Directory via the GUI for the drive. named it backups.

then I wiped the drive and created lvm then wiped the drive
then I went back to create Directory and named it backups again, but now it shows as .backups/backups

so it seems when you remove the directory from GUI and then wipe the disk, it does not remove the file structure /mnt/pve/backups

Code:
root@proxmox:/mnt/pve# ls
backups  local2_backups  local2-n-backups  newbackup

- so the next Directory you create and name it backups it now gets set to path /backups/backups

should Proxmox not rm the directory ( backups ) when we remove the Directory Storage and Wipe a disk

seems if we have named the Directory Storage backups or backups1 backups2 etc.
- then we remove the Directory Storage and add a new disks or wipe it clean, then we should be able to name that directory Storage backups again and it should be located at /mnt/pve/backups not /mnt/pve/backups/backups

somehow this should be automatic I would think to have these Directories remove when we use the GUI to remove a Directory

Thanks
Spiro

Last edited:
I reworded the content above just incase you did not understand me well ;) since I am a noob to proxmox
my PVE

Code:
proxmox-ve: 7.1-1 (running kernel: 5.13.19-6-pve)
pve-manager: 7.1-12 (running version: 7.1-12/b3c09de3)
pve-kernel-helper: 7.1-14
pve-kernel-5.13: 7.1-9
pve-kernel-5.4: 6.4-11
pve-kernel-5.13.19-6-pve: 5.13.19-15
pve-kernel-5.13.19-5-pve: 5.13.19-13
pve-kernel-5.13.19-2-pve: 5.13.19-4
pve-kernel-5.4.157-1-pve: 5.4.157-1
pve-kernel-5.4.73-1-pve: 5.4.73-1
ceph-fuse: 16.2.7
corosync: 3.1.5-pve2
criu: 3.15-1+pve-1
glusterfs-client: 9.2-1
ifupdown: 0.8.36+pve1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.4-1
libjs-extjs: 7.0.0-1
libknet1: 1.22-pve2
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.4.1
libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.2.0-1
libpve-access-control: 7.1-7
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.2-1
libpve-common-perl: 7.1-5
libpve-guest-common-perl: 4.1-1
libpve-http-server-perl: 4.1-1
libpve-storage-perl: 7.1-2
libqb0: 1.0.5-1
libspice-server1: 0.14.3-2.1
lvm2: 2.03.11-2.1
lxc-pve: 4.0.12-1
lxcfs: 4.0.12-pve1
novnc-pve: 1.3.0-2
proxmox-backup-client: 2.1.5-1
proxmox-backup-file-restore: 2.1.5-1
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.3-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 3.4-7
pve-cluster: 7.1-3
pve-container: 4.1-4
pve-docs: 7.1-2
pve-edk2-firmware: 3.20210831-2
pve-firewall: 4.2-5
pve-firmware: 3.3-6
pve-ha-manager: 3.3-3
pve-i18n: 2.6-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 6.2.0-2
pve-xtermjs: 4.16.0-1
qemu-server: 7.1-4
smartmontools: 7.2-pve2
spiceterm: 3.2-2
swtpm: 0.7.1~bpo11+1
vncterm: 1.7-1
zfsutils-linux: 2.1.4-pve1
I think I got the wording corrected so you may understand what I was asking.

thanks again for any replies and reason why this does not get removed.

Kind Regards,
Spiro

Hello,
testing a couple different setups for a new drive I installed. first I created a Directory via the GUI for the drive. named it backups.

then I wiped the drive and created lvm then wiped the drive
then I went back to create Directory and named it backups again, but now it shows as .backups/backups

so it seems when you remove the directory from GUI and then wipe the disk, it does not remove the file structure /mnt/pve/backups
If you remove the storage configuration only the storage configuration is removed. If you wipe the disk, only the disk is wiped.
To do a full cleanup, you can go to Datacenter > [Your Node] > Disks > Directory > More > Destroy instead, and leave both checkboxes checked. In other words: if you created the storage in Datacenter > [Your Node] > Disks > [Type] you should remove it there.

Code:
root@proxmox:/mnt/pve# ls
backups  local2_backups  local2-n-backups  newbackup

- so the next Directory you create and name it backups it now gets set to path /backups/backups

should Proxmox not rm the directory ( backups ) when we remove the Directory Storage and Wipe a disk

seems if we have named the Directory Storage backups or backups1 backups2 etc.
- then we remove the Directory Storage and add a new disks or wipe it clean, then we should be able to name that directory Storage backups again and it should be located at /mnt/pve/backups not /mnt/pve/backups/backups

somehow this should be automatic I would think to have these Directories remove when we use the GUI to remove a Directory

Thanks
Spiro

Reactions: Spirog
If you remove the storage configuration only the storage configuration is removed. If you wipe the disk, only the disk is wiped.
To do a full cleanup, you can go to Datacenter > [Your Node] > Disks > Directory > More > Destroy instead, and leave both checkboxes checked. In other words: if you created the storage in Datacenter > [Your Node] > Disks > [Type] you should remove it there.
@Fabian_E = Excellent ;)

Thanks so much I will try this and test it..

thanks as always for your assistance.

- hoping that there is much progress on PVE 7.2 and that it is right around the corner for updating ;)

Kind Regards,
Spiro

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!