What will change if a VM Backup Restored on a different PVE with different hardware ?

Ömür DALAN

Sep 22, 2018
I have two separate PVE installations on different servers with different hardware. On one of them i am running a Windows 2012 R2 Server which runs a commercial licensed software (NT-Ware's Uniflow). This software uses a licensing method which generates a system-id from some hardware specs and serials i do not know which ones they are.

I need to move this VM from one to another PVE.

My plan is to restore a recent backup from the old one on the new PVE. But i have no idea if same system id would be there on the new PVE's restored VM.

I asked the software company and waiting for an answer about how they generate the system-id. Wondering if someone else had similar case ?

If you do a backup and restore, the system uuid is the same, it is stored in the configuration file and "normal" Windows licensing stuff should be fine. You can hardcode other serial into your virtual hardware via normal QEMU calls, yet there is no direct interface for that. You can however set the CPU type to some predefined and common denominator of your two servers in order the get a smoother transition, but this has to be done before activating software in your guest.

A few years ago, I tried to mimic and incorporate a SLIC to be able to run a virtualized Windows on the same hardware it was on just with a PVE in between. It was a hassle to get it to work, but it did in the end.

Reactions: Ömür DALAN

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!