What virtual appliances do you want to see

You can just create your own. Makes IMO not much sense to ship anything pre-created when there are automation tools like Ansible or fully-automated-installation, ... One is much more flexible with them and can also use this for OS/software which could not be distributed due to license reasons anyway.

You can just create your own. Makes IMO not much sense to ship anything pre-created when there are automation tools like Ansible or fully-automated-installation, ... One is much more flexible with them and can also use this for OS/software which could not be distributed due to license reasons anyway.

Depends on what scale set-up you are looking at. For my at home starter-business VM host it would have saved me hours if i could just select a VM template, reboot the server and have passtrough working. To be fair, i say this only because people mention tweaks to VM.conf files to reliably have passthrough working.

Ansible is to me what happens on top of a VM template. I meant VM template quite literally. Just a VM.conf file pre-configured for specific use cases.

I am still learning proxmox and it is quite usable, the more i learn it the better it gets.

To be fair, i say this only because people mention tweaks to VM.conf files to reliably have passthrough working.

That's because pass-through is still something quite experimental, it needs a specific matching HW stack and even then it can make problems. So the "working out of the box" config isn't really feasible at the moment, as there are different set of workaround people need. This would mean a lot of work for then not even help many, as there's no way we can test and preconfigure all possible HW/OS combinations.
Note also that Proxmox VE is mainly targeted for enterprise server use, the HW used there is quite different.

Just a VM.conf file pre-configured for specific use cases.

That's what the create wizard and OS settings is there for and already does some automatic adaptions to a certain degree.
I'd not call this "templates" in "Proxmox VE talk" but rather default settings.

If there's something which every GPU pass-through VM needs we're open to adapt that, but AFAIK we do the common sensible stuff already.

For the rest there are quite a few good tutorials and how to articles and videos out there, and IMO their better suited to address this for now.

That's because pass-through is still something quite experimental, it needs a specific matching HW stack and even then it can make problems. So the "working out of the box" config isn't really feasible at the moment, as there are different set of workaround people need. This would mean a lot of work for then not even help many, as there's no way we can test and preconfigure all possible HW/OS combinations.
Note also that Proxmox VE is mainly targeted for enterprise server use, the HW used there is quite different.

That's what the create wizard and OS settings is there for and already does some automatic adaptions to a certain degree.
I'd not call this "templates" in "Proxmox VE talk" but rather default settings.

If there's something which every GPU pass-through VM needs we're open to adapt that, but AFAIK we do the common sensible stuff already.

For the rest there are quite a few good tutorials and how to articles and videos out there, and IMO their better suited to address this for now.

Fair enough.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!