What to do with all these disks? Dual Socket X5690 good enough for ceph?

FuriousGeorge

Renowned Member
Sep 25, 2012
This is for "HomeLab"/Educational purposes.

I run a couple of lightweight services on the 3 nodes in question. There's a DVR with a couple of cameras, a PVR I rarely use, a samba-based domain controller, a Unifi Controller, a pfsense router, and a light PBX. The DVR, PVR, and router are KVMs. The PVR and DVR will probably get their own storage.

The nodes have 128 GB of ECC and Dual X5690s, and some simple local zfs storage.

I have 9 x 4TB spindle drives, and some older model ssds that I can use for the various caches.

I have dual 10Gbe on all three servers, and a switch for them.

I was thinking about setting up a ceph storage, but I'm not sure if I have enough horsepower , given the older model CPUs, and all the VMs and Containers.

I also have 3 x 256 and 3 x 512 GB SSDs that are "prosumer". In addition to, or instead of, what I described above, I was considering trying to get ZFS over iSCSI working. While I have a NAS for backup and shared storage currently, and it's fairly slow.

As a third option, perhaps GlusterFS is a better choice, given the resources at my disposal.

I'd appreciate the forum's thoughts.

Hi,
the CPU is more than enough for ceph.
The speed bottleneck will be the spinner disks.
But for an "HomeLab"/Educational System fast enough.

Reactions: FuriousGeorge

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!