What is the ideal configuration for PVE5?

TechSean

Jul 26, 2017
My office is in the process of migrating away from Esxi and PVE3, and we'd like to move to PVE5.

What hardware / configuration would make for an ideal PVE 5 server hosting Windows 2012 / SQL Server?

We're willing to buy ssds as long as we're not replacing them every 6 months.

At the minute, we cannot buy our servers new, so a lot of our stuff is used, and we'll usually buy a Dell server from Gen11 or Gen12 and then configure it to match an application specific needs.

What hardware / configuration would make for an ideal PVE 5 server hosting Windows 2012 / SQL Server?

I love to answer those questions. Everyone is totally exited about my answer right until I present the costs :-D

Seriously, this depends heavily on the use case. If "your office" consists of 10.000 employers, one database server could not be enough. If you only have 10 employers that use e.g. a CRM system on a daily basis, you can run your SQL-server from a Raspberry Pi.

We're willing to buy ssds as long as we're not replacing them every 6 months.

Then buy the right ones. Enterprise grade SSD with support and desired DWPD for your purpose.

At the minute, we cannot buy our servers new, so a lot of our stuff is used, and we'll usually buy a Dell server from Gen11 or Gen12 and then configure it to match an application specific needs.

That's totally cool if you have a cluster, yet if you only have one machine, buy with support to reduce the time-to-recovery.

I love to answer those questions. Everyone is totally exited about my answer right until I present the costs :-D

Seriously, this depends heavily on the use case. If "your office" consists of 10.000 employers, one database server could not be enough. If you only have 10 employers that use e.g. a CRM system on a daily basis, you can run your SQL-server from a Raspberry Pi.

Then buy the right ones. Enterprise grade SSD with support and desired DWPD for your purpose.

That's totally cool if you have a cluster, yet if you only have one machine, buy with support to reduce the time-to-recovery.

Thank you for the response.
Our explain our use case.
Small SIP/VOIP integrator/re-seller which all of our records are stored in SQL. Customer info, lots of CDR (call records), and how everything is routed, and 100k numbers.

For Enterprise SSDs, what brand/model SSD is recommended? Any specific raid card or should we look at pass through for ZFS?

Right now, I'm testing PVE 5 using a raid 1 config with consumer grade SSDs, and only getting FSYNC of around 1500, which from what I've read... seems a bit slow.

We do want to go with a cluster. 1 SQL cluster of 2-3 nodes, and a cluster of 2-3 nodesfor everything else that isn't performance driven.
We want to be HA wherever possible if we can make it financially possible.

Any specific raid card or should we look at pass through for ZFS?

a good go-to-guide is this:

http://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/20...-if-your-ssd-is-suitable-as-a-journal-device/

Any specific raid card or should we look at pass through for ZFS?

ZFS has a lot of features, yet needs RAM for itself. So pump of the RAM and use ZFS on enterprise grade SSDs.

Right now, I'm testing PVE 5 using a raid 1 config with consumer grade SSDs, and only getting FSYNC of around 1500, which from what I've read... seems a bit slow.

pveperf is a good quick benchmark, but please use fio to get a more sophisticated benchmark. I also only get 1600 on my 6 enterprise grade SSD setup, yet a throughput of 2,5 GB/sec with multiple threads and over 100k IOPS with fio.​

a good go-to-guide is this:

http://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/20...-if-your-ssd-is-suitable-as-a-journal-device/

ZFS has a lot of features, yet needs RAM for itself. So pump of the RAM and use ZFS on enterprise grade SSDs.

pveperf is a good quick benchmark, but please use fio to get a more sophisticated benchmark. I also only get 1600 on my 6 enterprise grade SSD setup, yet a throughput of 2,5 GB/sec with multiple threads and over 100k IOPS with fio.​

Groovy, this gives me confidence I'm not completely train wrecking everything.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!