What is the correct approach in this case? Virtual Networks

joais

Apr 20, 2021
Hey!

We are short in IPV4s and some of our machines do not need internet access at all, in fact, it would be much better if they were isolated from the internet. For example, we have our database and web server in separated machines, currently, each has its own ipv4, however, an ideal scenario would be one in which we have a private network that the database and webserver are connected to so that the webserver still has access to the internet but the database is completely isolated.

What am I exactly looking for? could it be a virtual switch or a VLAN, perhaps a simple virtual network can achieve this alone?

Best regards.

Last edited:
What am I exactly looking for? c
from your description I think the following:
* create a new bridge (vmbr1) - don't add any network interfaces as ports (that way you're sure it's not connected to the outside)
* set the virtual nic in the database VM to be connected to vmbr1 (and configure a private IP for that nic inside the VM)
* create a second nic for the webserver VM and connect it to vmbr1 (and configure a private IP in the same network as above for that nic inside the VM)
* check connectivity - reconfigure the webserver to reach the database vm via the private IP

I hope this helps!

Reactions: joais
an ideal scenario would be one in which we have a private network that the database and webserver are connected to so that the webserver still has access to the internet but the database is completely isolated.
... and a firewall on database VM who will permit to replay only for new connections from the webserver only.

Good luck / Bafta !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!