what is the best monitor tool for proxmox ?

trungnguyen

Feb 8, 2020
hi there!
proxmox is great,but i want to fully monitor proxmox cluster(node,vm,...),so i decide to use zabbix 4.4,can you guy show me what is your fevourite monitor tool?? thanks

hey @corsinvest please don't necro bump older threads, and please also do not suggest that cv4pve is officially related to Proxmox VE. While yes, you're a partner and we're happy about that, this means that you resell subscriptions and provide support https://www.proxmox.com/en/partners/become-a-partner
Again, that's great, but please do not use this as leverage to make people think that we certified cv4pve, which we do not. Proxmox currently doesn't certifies any third party tool using our API.

Don't get me wrong here too, the API is here to be used and we like that there are popping up third party tools for certain niche or more (or less) specialized use cases.
Anyway, if you want to be sure your ideas and improvements benefit all of the Proxmox VE environment and its users, feel free and welcomed to tell your team to join our open source development over at the developer mailing lists. See https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation#Introduction

How to install the graphic version without docker (which is not available on proxmox)?

First: Why should it not be available? It's just Debian
Second: Why would you want to install the monitoring on the system you want to monitor? Does not make any sense.

First: Can docker be installed in proxmox without any problems for the proxmox virtualization?

Second: I want to install it in a proxmox container (and replicate this to the others servers). When one server fails, I can still start the container on another instance. This is by no means worse than having a separate single point of failure docker installation.

First: Can docker be installed in proxmox without any problems for the proxmox virtualization?

Yes, but if they get compromised, your whole system will be compromised. I would not do that in a production environment. Best always to install for best security inside a KVM.

Second: I want to install it in a proxmox container (and replicate this to the others servers). When one server fails, I can still start the container on another instance. This is by no means worse than having a separate single point of failure docker installation.

VM has HA and can be live migrated, a container cannot.

A container can me migrated almost live (just a couple of seconds outage). So there is no difference.

plus all the time needed to start the monitoring software. You don't have this downtime with a (real) live migration.

1) This is irreleveant to me (and many other). It will run on one server 99% of the time. If I decide to migrate, there is no problem having some 30 seconds of interruption. Everyone can decide on its own how to use it.
2) The described solution uses Docker which is a container and not a VM! Unfortunately docker containers can not be run in proxmox out of the box.
So the question was: How to install it without docker?

1) This is irreleveant to me (and many other). It will run on one server 99% of the time. If I decide to migrate, there is no problem having some 30 seconds of interruption. Everyone can decide on its own how to use it.

That's true, but saying there's no difference is just plain wrong, and that was LnxBil's point. If there's no difference for your use case, well good for you. But for many others there are, especially if there are open connections which should not get interrupted, page and DB caches which would be purged, ...

2) The described solution uses Docker which is a container and not a VM!

You can install Docker in a VM.
Also, if it runs in a Container it normally runs in a VM, vice versa is more a problem.

So the question was: How to install it without docker?

That's something @corsinvest may want to answer, as for now it seems like they only support deployment over docker.
So, either just run it in a VM (easiest), or try to get Docker inside LXC (some made it work, you need at least the nesting feature on) or install docker on the PVE host (most intrusive, it should not kill anything of PVE, but we cannot really help if)

That's true, but saying there's no difference is just plain wrong, and that was LnxBil's point. If there's no difference for your use case, well good for you. But for many others there are, especially if there are open connections which should not get interrupted, page and DB caches which would be purged, ...

You can install Docker in a VM.
Also, if it runs in a Container it normally runs in a VM, vice versa is more a problem.

That's something @corsinvest may want to answer, as for now it seems like they only support deployment over docker.
So, either just run it in a VM (easiest), or try to get Docker inside LXC (some made it work, you need at least the nesting feature on) or install docker on the PVE host (most intrusive, it should not kill anything of PVE, but we cannot really help if)

Hello everyone,
We have developed ToolBox that can be installed with Docker 'cause it has become a standard and it facilitates the sharing of applications and services between multiple environments, also making updates will be a very fast process.

Best Regards,
Corsinvest Team

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!