what is exactly inside /etc/pve/nodes/qemu-server/* ?

rizahoemae

Sep 11, 2021
Hi, I just wondering what's going on inside the path. as far as I know, there is a configuration file of our VM in proxmox. but, I have 2 VMs (CT template actually, both of them) in my locals. but when I check to the path, there is no conf file, it's literally empty. is it because I use ct templates rather than VM??? i have no idea about this, the documentation doesn't explain at all.. thanks

it stores the config files for qemu based VMs.
oh i got a point. so this is because I'm not using VMs right? i also just checked a site that said, linux container has its own config file. so I guess they (VM and CT) has its own config file. is it true?

oh i got a point. so this is because I'm not using VMs right? i also just checked a site that said, linux container has its own config file. so I guess they (VM and CT) has its own config file. is it true?
Every virtual guest has its own config, Containers and VMs; the path the configs are stored at differs though by guest-type and node they're located on; check stoiko's link for details on that.

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
Yesss! thankyou for the explanations.. at the end I've got a summary that said:
- if you want to check configuration files of VMs, check this path: /etc/pve/qemu-server
- if you want to check configuration files of CT, check this path: /etc/pve/lxc

Yesss! thankyou for the explanations.. at the end I've got a summary that said:
- if you want to check configuration files of VMs, check this path: /etc/pve/qemu-server
- if you want to check configuration files of CT, check this path: /etc/pve/lxc
Yes, but for clarity: those paths are always OK for a single node, but in a cluster they'd point to the local (ssh/webconsole connected) node, the node specific base path for those directories is /etc/pve/nodes/NODENAME/.

Reactions: rizahoemae

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!