What is best practice with regards to multiple hard drives

greavette

Renowned Member
Apr 13, 2012
Hello,

I've installed Proxmox on my home server. I have a 250 GB drive and a 2TB drive. It asked me which drive to use. I selected the 250GB Drive and Proxmox is running like a champ on this drive.

My plan though is to run VM's from both drives. For example, if I wanted to run a VM that has a database, I'd like to split my database and temp/log files across drives. Can this be done in Proxmox? If it can, please point me to the docs so I can read up on how to do this.

My VM with the database is Windows 2008 so I'll need my C: drive for Windows on my 250GB Proxmox disk and my D: drive for my Windows VM on my 2 TB Proxmox Disk.

Is this recommended to have two separate datastores in Proxmox? What are best practices when setting up multiple disks in proxmox.

Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!