What determines the size of local storage on installation?

Shadow Sysop

Mar 7, 2021
What determines the size of the local storage on installation? Does it scale? I notice if installing to a 1TB disk, it uses about 100gb for local. Installing to a 240GB disk uses 58GB for the local. I want to do some installations on bigger disks but I don't want a gigantic local drive on them. Any advice is appreciated.

I would've never found this without your help. Thank you so much!

For those seeking the same answer

maxroot
Defines the maximum size of the root volume, which stores the operation system. The maximum limit of the root volume size is hdsize/4.

The question also is where do you want to store ISOs, LXC templates, backups, snippets and so on as these can only be stored on a file level "directory" storage and not on a block level storage like the big "LVM-thin" or "ZFS" storage. But in case you don't want to store all of that on your root, because you for example use a NFS/SMB share for it, a maxroot of 32GB would be totally fine.

Last edited:
Right. All these things are stored in NFS. I was concerned because if I use a 4TB disk, I don't want 1TB of local. Thanks again

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!