[SOLVED] What am I missing GPU passthrough

skrmicrotek

Jul 18, 2023
I have successfully installed the GTX 1650 on my ASUS TUF Laptop
I used this guide https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/lcnn5w/proxmox_pcie_passthrough_in_2_minutes/
It seems to work as I installed the drivers successfully. When I set the GPU to primary it still uses the Red Hat Virt GPU
I cannot seem to get it to use the 1650 (obviously I am missing something simple). I have a monitor connected but it is using it as second monitor
on the Red Hat Virt GPU I can use it but again it is not the 1650. Someone a bit more knowledgeable than me will hopefully have a solution
or suggestion. Feels like I am right there but what am I missing. I also have RDP setup but have not successfully connected that way
keep getting a permission error when trying to login? I have got everything just the way I want it (finally) except getting this gpu passthrough to work.
I want to use it remotely not at that machine. Thanks in advance anything you require to help troubleshoot just ask!

Attachments

• Screenshot (27).png
    Screenshot (27).png
    58.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot (25).png
    Screenshot (25).png
    311.4 KB · Views: 3
Update: Successfully connected with RDP (was using a blank password do not do that ha)
Still not using the 1650 now I have a third adapter Microsoft virtual adaptor. I am missing a step somewhere.
in the VM settings I set the display to none. I can boot and get into the VM but this time the Red Hat GPU is gone
followed by the Virtual GPU and the GTX with a exclamation mark error 43 (when changing the display type).
I shall keep trying settings if anyone can give me some insight!

Attachments

• Screenshot (29).png
    Screenshot (29).png
    435.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Figured it out, up and running!!!
It was playing with the display and pci-e settings
what ended up working was setting display to Default and the gpu UNCHECKED primary display
for some reason it works and its all up and running. Will try some Linux distros and more versions of Windows
making sure this sticks!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!