[SOLVED] Weird SMB Share Issue

crash$

Aug 14, 2024
Hello,

I am sure there is something that I am misunderstanding, but here is an issue I am having and don't know what the solution is. I have been troubleshooting for days now.

Windows Server 2019 Proxmox VM - 192.168.0.10
Ubuntu SMB-Share Container - 192.168.0.3
Proxmox Host - 192.168.0.2

The two VMs are on a bridge configured as follows:
1723594996599.png

The network device for the Windows server:
1723595161802.png

The network device for the Ubuntu LXC container:
1723595229632.png

Here is the problem:

- Windows server can't access the Ubuntu container share, but can access other SMB shares on the network
- Windows server can ping 192.168.0.3 (Ubuntu Container)
- The share has been hosted inside the Ubuntu container and on the Proxmox host. In neither instance could the Windows server access the share.
- Any other clients on the network can access the share without issue
- Other VMs on the Proxmox host can't access the share

I have concluded that this is a networking issue within Proxmox, but I don't know why other VMs can't access the share. This isn't a huge deal to me, as there are other ways to make sure that the containers and VMs on the Proxmox host have access to the storage if they need it, however I am curious why they can't access the share.

As far as I know, because these are all on a bridge, they are in the same broadcast domain and should theoretically be able to communicate with each other given that they are all on the same network, right? Does anyone know anything about why this is?

Interesting thing, yes that should basically work. I also have a Samba server running directly on my Proxmoxhost. All systems can access it.

The share has been hosted inside the Ubuntu container and on the Proxmox host. In neither instance could the Windows server access the share.
Any other clients on the network can access the share without issue

Other VMs on the Proxmox host can't access the share
What are the other VMs? Also Windows?

Please share the smb.conf, the config of your container and your network configuration of your Proxmox VE with us.

Code:
pct config <CTID>

Code:
cat /etc/network/interfaces

Which Ubuntu version are you using? 22 or 24.04?

If you access the share on the Ubuntu CT with the Windows server, what does Ubuntu and Windows write to its logs? Maybe there is a hint there...

Hey, forget about this forum post. I started doing some more testing. I installed windows 11 on Proxmox and it accessed it just fine, then I realized that Ubuntu Server and Kali Linux were misconfigured and I fixed those too. So now it's just Windows Server 2019. It's still weird that it can access every other share on the network except for the SMB share hosted by that container I was talking about, but it's not a Proxmox network issue like I thought.

Reactions: fireon
Hey, forget about this forum post. I started doing some more testing. I installed windows 11 on Proxmox and it accessed it just fine, then I realized that Ubuntu Server and Kali Linux were misconfigured and I fixed those too. So now it's just Windows Server 2019. It's still weird that it can access every other share on the network except for the SMB share hosted by that container I was talking about, but it's not a Proxmox network issue like I thought.
Perfect . So your issue is resolved, please mark your thread as "solved". You can do this by editing your first post and setting the flag.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!