Weird Drive Behavior

mrdmadev

Oct 15, 2020
I have Proxmox installed on a Dell R720 with multiple drives spread out over the front 16 bays and a 1TB USB drive plugged in to the front USB port of the server.

All drives, including the USB drive, blink their lights in unison every 10 seconds consistently using a stopwatch. With the blink I get a mechanical "ka-thud" from the 10k SAS drives in the bays and the USB drive. I've booted the server and have left it in a BIOS screen for 10-15 minutes and I do not get the same behavior. I also let the server hang out in the GRUB boot screen for 10 - 15 minutes and I do not get the same behavior. My next step is install Windows Server on a spare SSD and drive bay to see if this behavior continues.

In the meantime.......is it possible this is something Proxmox (or Debian) is doing? Where can I start troubleshooting this?

This doesn't seem healthy.

Hi,

this is expected.
The pvestatd daemon checks all devices in regular intervals.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!