[SOLVED] Web Ui is unavailable after installing another network card

Michel47388

Aug 12, 2024
Hello,

Recently I acquired an Asrock Rack PAUL IMPI card for my homelab setup.
But shortly after installing it in my system I noticed that the proxmox webui was no longer available.

Therefore after doing some research i found out that adding pcie devices may change the original interface name, and in fact that was the case therefore I updated my interfaces files to the correct interface name but it didn't worked.

In fact, the issue I'm facing is that after booting up the system, the webui is available for like 5 sec, then It go down, it seems there is a conflict between the network card in the impi card and my onboard ethernet card.

These are a few logs that may help solve the issue :

These are the logs of the interface 'enp39s0' that I want to use for my system:
1725782055911.png

This is 'ip a' output, what is interesting is that the interface that I want to use, shown above in journalctl is not listed there, btw the interface labeled 3 is the one from the impi card :
1725782172261.png

Finally this is my interfaces file :

1725782246200.png

Do you have any clues what is happening there ? Also when I try to apply the interfaces file i get an error saying that enp39s0 is not a network interface.

Thank you !

Since it is up for 5 seconds, and I see VM's having auto-started, do you perhaps have any pcie-passthrough set up for those devices?
Even if not, verifying that it isn't caused by a vm, temporarily disabling them might be a good starting point to rule out I would say.

Try editing the config-files of them (found in /etc/pve/qemu-server/VMID.conf ) and removing/disabling the booton value and then rebooting. Looking at your list, it should be for VMID 100, 101 and 102

Hi, thank you for your answer ! Indeed it was the issue, the card I added shifted the pcie adresses and therefore in my vm that was auto booting, I was passing the network card of the system. Disabling start on boot and updating settings in my vm resolved my issue. Really thank you :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!