web security - port 8006

michabbs

May 5, 2020
PMG provides api access via 8006 port, as well as configuration access. I believe it is generally good idea to block connections to this port from outside of our internal network. (Why to open possibility of root log-in from the whole world?)
On the other hand - Spam Quarantine panel is also served via 8006 port. So if I want my users have access to it from their homes or from the road - I must allow connections from the world. I don't like it...

Is it possible to serve quarantine web panel and main api on two different ports?
Or to limit api/configuration access by ip?

So if I want my users have access to it from their homes or from the road - I must allow connections from the world. I don't like it...
The standard solution for such problems is a VPN for the home users...
Is it possible to serve quarantine web panel and main api on two different ports?
Or to limit api/configuration access by ip?
No, that is not possible because the quarantine GUI is a web app which uses the API.

Hi,

IMO as long as PMG does not split the user interface for managing quarantine and all the other admin stuff you should not open this to the world.

If you do not have the possibility to setup a VPN for your user you could try to use the pre-mentioned Fail2Ban rule and do not hesitate to beeing really agressive with that. (I have a specific rule for the only PMG that is open to WAN in my infra that is permanently banning any ip beside ours that try the root login at least 1 time)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!