Web interface issue

TheGreatMaxwell

Aug 17, 2024
I just set up a server running Proxmox 8 and it seems to be working, but anytime I reboot my pc the web interface refuses to connect and acts as if the server is offline. I can ping it and try to ssh into it but it refuses to connect even with the correct username/password. Using another PC will bring the web interface up but wont allow a login

Is your browser running into a timeout and does not open the page at all or is the basic framework of the site loading but the otherwise green icon next to the node name is a red x? In the latter case your browser cache might mess things up, as you might no longer be authenticated to the server, but your browser still displays the framework out of the cache? Does a Ctrl-Reload help? Does using incognito mode help? Can you see error messages in the browser console (mostly F12)?

Is your browser running into a timeout and does not open the page at all or is the basic framework of the site loading but the otherwise green icon next to the node name is a red x? In the latter case your browser cache might mess things up, as you might no longer be authenticated to the server, but your browser still displays the framework out of the cache? Does a Ctrl-Reload help? Does using incognito mode help? Can you see error messages in the browser console (mostly F12)?
It doesn't load anything at all. Im running Firefox and it says something along the lines of "there was an issue opening this webpage" I get similar results on chromium and Vivaldi. idk if it's relevant but my desktop is running Linux mint 22

The SSH error is easily fixed by following the instructions in the error message. All it means is that the host key has changed, perhaps due to reinstalling PVE.

ETA: Another thing that could cause that error, besides re-installing PVE, is an IP address conflict. That could also cause the issue with your web browser. If 2 machines have the same IP you will connect to whichever one happens to answer the ARP query first. Rebooting your client will drop the ARP cache.

Last edited:
The SSH error is easily fixed by following the instructions in the error message. All it means is that the host key has changed, perhaps due to reinstalling PVE.

ETA: Another thing that could cause that error, besides re-installing PVE, is an IP address conflict. That could also cause the issue with your web browser. If 2 machines have the same IP you will connect to whichever one happens to answer the ARP query first. Rebooting your client will drop the ARP cache.
The ip address conflict was it. I have a mikrotik switch that i set to 192.168.1.20 a few months ago and totally forgot about. thank you!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!