[SOLVED] Web GUI access

Chirstian Carstens

Nov 22, 2018
Hi,
Im fairly new to proxmox and have done a couple of test installations. I seem to have problems with the access to the web gui when trying to set static ip-addresses.
At the moment I have a test bench where I've installed debian stretch and on top of that proxmox. Web GUI access was accessible from the begining but when I created a bridge network for my VM:s web gui was only accessible from localhost.
I've played around much with the network settings and I have gotten it to work with the bridge network, so that VM:s have internet access. The problem is web gui. It seems to work randomly. As for last try, I had it up and running and web gui working from other computers. So I thought I had it all under control, but wanted to check that a restart of the host will be able to bring everything up they way it should, but it did not. All settings are still the same as they were before restart from what I can see, but again only localhost access is possible.
This happend once before on this system but back then I thought I had made some changes and was tryin' to figure out what I could have done. I have had the same problem with other test installs of proxmox.

Can anyone point me in which direction I should go with this in order to try to get GUI working from other computers even after restarts. What might be causing the GUI to not accept remote connections?

Last edited:
please post your network configuration

From /etc/network/interfaces

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp4s0
iface enp4s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.0.5
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
bridge-ports enp4s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

So one physical NIC and one bridge, should be pretty simple one would think :)

So now as I got home from work and switch the proxmox host on, web interface works as it should. I will try to reboot and see what happens. But nothing has changed (again) and now it was working. Any other data needed to help analys my problem. Thanks in advance.

Well, after a reboot Web IF was not available remotely anymore. I tried power down and power up again, same thing, no web IF remotely.

Okay, so I started from scratch, following this https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Stretch and after I create the bridge network it does not take long before I loose connection to the server first time, and after that connections start to be random.
Interfaces are as I posted above, exactly the same. I've checked that firewall is not active. I can ping the ip-address but I can not connect through SSH nor to the web IF. The pve host it self can ping both local network and internet.
I just dont get what is happening.

So another interessting fact. I tried to install proxmox directly (a.k.a. not on top of a basic debian), and get the same problem. Can not connect to either SSH nor web IF from another computer when I see the "welcome to proxmox" screen.

Update: So I am getting a little forward. It seems that as soon as proxmox web IF does any changes to the network settings the host stop responding on requests on both the webserver and ssh. Cant figure out why.

Last edited:
Hmmm.. after playin around with proxmox for 5 hours last evening/night I thought I had network working as it should. After several restarts it was allways up and I was able to connect from another computer to the managment web if. BUT today I turned on the server again, and guess what, no way to get SSH nor https://192.168.0.5:8006 contact with that server.
Still the host i able to access my home network and internet, and the one container i got I am able to reach by SSH and it can also connect to internet.
Its ridiculous how this thing work. Cant debian just handle the networks so that they would work. It seems like as soon as proxmox start doing its stuff, wired things happens and you cant expect much of anything out of it.
And there is absolutely no help to be found as most other people seem to have the problem of too many ways to access their web if. Is it really possible that I'm the one and only with the problem that I cant access this damn thing at all.
Proxmox sure looks like a good VE on the shell, but its no fun to try to do anything productive with it. Only good alternative to VE with web if for management is vmware.

there must be something very different on your side - the web interface is working great here and on about 230.000 installations worldwide.

There must be, but this has now happend on 3 different computers. As soon as proxmox takes over the interfaces file, its like trafic is blocked, though when checked, both 8006 and ssh are listening.
But how can it go wrong everytime even though I follow the guide (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Stretch) or install proxmox ve directly from a usb?
Can not imagin it beeing my switch as my current server running virtual macines use bridge networking and it works fine. AND the fact that both the host and the VMs/containers on the proxmox all have good working network connections. Its only proxmox web if that is not reachable from any other places than on the host it self.. And its a little pointless with a web interface for managment if I have to have remote desktop to the proxmox server in order to manage it.
Is there any locations from where proxmox might deny any access to the host it self from any other locations than localhost?

tcp 0 0.0.0.0:8006 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

Last edited:
I havent touched it other than tryin' to turn the firewall off. And if I check iptables on host from terminal its says accept on each and no exceptions to those.

Is there any hidden rules? And any idea why they would block trafic most of the time but sometimes it would let trafic pass without changing any rules?

And even if I install it from the ISO, it does the exact same thing, after first reboot, ssh and 8006 can not be reached, that is without touching any settings.

Last edited:
Okay, now I found the problem. It seems some device on the network has been given the proxmox servers ip-address. Now I need to find what device has got that IP and why.

When you got a list of network ip-addresses but something is missing, that obviously should not even have that IP address equals alot of work and wired problems.

Thanks for the help anyway

Last edited:
i had precise the same problem installing proxmox on debian. after correcting the /etc/network/interfaces the interface for the webgui from proxmox , from dhcp to static the webgui worked again. why this happens after installing a bridge as recommend in the wiki installing proxmox on debian i dont know . next problem the webgui of endian isnt working

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!