Weak 3rd node or Quorum-Device?

MH_MUC

May 24, 2019
Hi everyone.
I have to setup a cluster for a critical application, but I only have to nodes available. As the machines only have one network interface and are connected to a switch, that is shared with outer machines I will do it without shared storage.
I have a weak 3rd node, that I am using as Proxmox Backup Server (PBS) at the moment.

My question: Should I run the 3rd node in the cluster just for quorum or install the quorum device on the pbs as described in the wiki. My fear is that the 3rd node will slow down the cluster somehow.

Thanks!

I would go for the qdevice.
It won't slow down your cluster but it will show up as a node which you would never use.
I used a qdevice on my PBS for several months and never had a problem with it.

So it really depends on your plans. :) Without a shared storage clusters are only half the fun, though.

Thank you for your reply guys.
Actually the weak node has only 8GB RAM. That is really bearly sufficient to run it as backup node. So I'll go with the qdevice.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!