[SOLVED] WDS/MDT

YaseenKamala

Feb 2, 2021
Paris
Hello all,

I have migrated my WDS/MDT server from hyper-v to pve, at this point I wanted to test if all works as expected.

When the VM boots it gets a correct IP address from DHCP but this is the error I got!

1641562239492.png

Thanks for your help as usual :)

regards,
KAMALA

Did you configure the VM correctly in terms of BIOS or UEFI (OVMF) and did you check the boot order in the VMs Options panel?

Reactions: YaseenKamala
Did you configure the VM correctly in terms of BIOS or UEFI (OVMF) and did you check the boot order in the VMs Options panel?
Hello @aaron ,

Thanks for your reply.

here is my boot order
1641563323600.png

Concerning the BIOS I left it by default!

1641563417275.png

Do you think I have to use OVMF (UEFI)?

Last edited:
@aaron FYI I just switched to BIOS to OVMF (UEFI) it worked but I am missing 2 PCI drivers! do you know under which folder I can find them within "virtio-win-x-x-x.iso"?

1641564948473.png

1641565145069.png

Thank you so much for your help!

Good to hear :)

The easiest way, if you don't want to run the installer in the root dir of the ISO, is to update the driver via the Device Manager, select "Browse my computer", point it to the CD and enable the "Include Subfolders" checkbox.

Don't forget to install the Ballooning Agent (needed to provide memory usage infos from within the VM, even if you don't use memory ballooning) and the Qemu Guest agent. As I assume those devices are the Serial interface for the guest agent and the ballooning device.

Reactions: YaseenKamala
Good to hear :)

That's what I did but I am still getting the error

The easiest way, if you don't want to run the installer in the root dir of the ISO, is to update the driver via the Device Manager, select "Browse my computer", point it to the CD and enable the "Include Subfolders" checkbox.

I am going to do this part will leave a post if it woks!

Don't forget to install the Ballooning Agent (needed to provide memory usage infos from within the VM, even if you don't use memory ballooning) and the Qemu Guest agent. As I assume those devices are the Serial interface for the guest agent and the ballooning device.

Last edited:
@aaron still I am still getting same error:

1641567726381.png

while all my drivers are installed correctly as you can see in the below screnshots:
1641568923627.png
1641568972056.png

For more information I have tried to access to the shared data from another windows vm which already running on the same proxmox node but I have installed manually.

could you please help me on that? why I am getting this error :(

thanks a lot.

Last edited:
It seems that the problem is related to the VM I am trying to install over the network PXE. It asks for a driver to be installed before the OS and I don't know how this can be done. Is it possible ! Can I install a driver before installing the OS ? For information, the virtio-win.iso is already attached to the VM I am trying to install.

Have done this before when trying to install computers with hardware for which there are no drivers in the standard Windowsinstall.

Basically this should work, but apparently in your case it doesn´t. Another (and permanent) solution is to inject the missing drivers into the WIM-file. You can do that with the DISM tool that should be available on your WDS-server. Has been a while so the details I can´t remember. Searching for DISM should point you in the right direction though.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!