Warning whilst backing up LXC

Mikey6283

Jul 14, 2021
Hi, I recently setup ssd for backup etc , however whilst doing a backup of the lXC there were these warning which i don't understand as the backup finished as Task OK.

i would be grateful if you could advise if there is anything i should be concerned about
Please see the screenshot.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 20.40.18.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 20.40.18.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 8
That means the sum of all your LVs (VM and CT disks) is bigger than the available storage.
With thin provisioning the storage is only used when actual data is written. In your case if every VM and CT fills up their disks, your underlying storage will run out of space and you'll run into errors and/or corruption.

To make sure this doesn't happen, either remove some disks or make sure to observe your storage and extend it when necessary.

That means the sum of all your LVs (VM and CT disks) is bigger than the available storage.
With thin provisioning the storage is only used when actual data is written. In your case if every VM and CT fills up their disks, your underlying storage will run out of space and you'll run into errors and/or corruption.

To make sure this doesn't happen, either remove some disks or make sure to observe your storage and extend it when necessary.
Thanks for the reply, The PVE node has 3 containers and 1 LV total 100 gb installed on a ssd 240gb. I assume that the balance of say 140 gb is used by Local LVM ? ( is this used for thin provision or not) Local LVM states that i have used 14GB out of 141gb see attachment. I also have extr
a SSD 480GB for backup of the nodes and 2TB hdd for storage of images . I have checked the warning and it says that i should changed the the thin _pool_autoextend_threshold ? how is this achieved thru shell by editing the lVM conf ? Apologise for these question but i new to proxmox and trying to learn as i go along.
Thanks for your understanding and i await your comments.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-23 at 15.58.28.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-23 at 15.58.28.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 5
In your screenshot you can see that the storage type is LVM-Thin, which means it is thin provisioned.
The sum of all your disks (CTs and VMs) is larger than the space available on that storage.

For information regarding autoextend, I'd recommend looking into the LVM config /etc/lvm/lvm.conf
This only works if there's free space in the VG, which if you've used the installer, there's not as everything is either used for root or the LVM-Thin storage.

You can see this by running vgs and lvs

Thanks
I have checked vgs & lvs the total is more than the 240ssd. What is my best option?
Reinstall onto the 480gb ssd by using a back up of the PVE ?
Any advice would be appreciated

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!