want to use both my 2 nic cards on my server

fh84

Apr 21, 2022
hi there..

im a noob when it comes to proxmox.. need help

i have a server node which has 2 ethernet ports

how do i use the second ethernet port ? (please check the screenshot.. i want to be able to use eno2)

i wish to setup something like pfsense where i need to be able to use both the ethernet ports

i only have an unmanaged switch.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-23 001605.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-04-23 001605.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 209
thank u so much bobmc!!

now my issue is ... the lan interface is shared with proxmox and pfsense lan... would it cause any issues ??

is it a better idea to have separate lan and wan from the proxmox mgmt interface ??

also... why does the vmbr0 have an IP assigned to it ?? shouldn't the IP be assigned on the VM using that vmbr0 bridge ?? i know its the proxmox mgmt IP but do i have to assign it there ?

its common for vmbr0 to be shared with proxmox (as a management interface) and some or all of the VM's running on the host. This is the default setup when proxmox is installed. Multiple other scenarios are possible but the default setup is perfectly fine as it is.

If you have two ethernet interfaces and you want to install a firewall/router such as pfSense, then it's recommended to have seperate LAN and WAN interfaces and to dedicate the WAN interface to pfSense only.

Proxmox needs a management IP, this being on vmbr0 doesn't affect the VM's which can have their own IP on vmbr0 at the same time - it's best to think of vmbr0 as being like a network switch, many systems can be connected to it, all at the same time.

You will need to think about how your network will operate once pfSense is installed. I notice that your gateway is currently 192.168.1.1 which I would assume is your internet providers modem/wifi box. The usual setup is that pfSense becomes the default gateway - at least for your VM's - but what is your plan?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!