Sébastien Morvan

Mar 3, 2017
Hello everybody,

I face some issues with our virtualized w2k server.

Due to CPU overload we're looking for performance improvements.

Base configuration (eq. physical config) :

CPU : IntelCore Duo
Sockets : 1
Cores : 2
RAM : 1GB

I tried many things to boost CPU on guest but the server isn't stable.

Stable configuration (CPU usage 90% avg. on guest) :

CPU: Host (Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2 )
Sockets : 1
Cores : 2
RAM : 4GB

I have 2 questions :

- Does anyone have a stable w2k with more CPUs ?
- How can i improve CPU performance on guest ?

Many thanks in advance,

Sébastien

I have done this long time ago. I remember... i start the VM with one core, after running i added more cores too. I also had to set the "host" Cpuflag and e1000 network. HDD was IDE. Please post your vmconfig and your proxmoxversion:
Code:
qmconfig <vmid>
pveversion -v

Thanks for your answer!

pveversion -v give me the following :
Code:
pve-manager: 3.4-1 (running version: 3.4-1/3f2d890e)                                        
pve-kernel-2.6.32-37-pve: 2.6.32-147                                                        
lvm2: 2.02.98-pve4                                                                         
clvm: 2.02.98-pve4                                                                        
corosync-pve: 1.4.7-1                                                                       
openais-pve: 1.1.4-3                                                                        
libqb0: 0.11.1-2                                                                            
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.2.0-2                                                                
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-4                                                                
fence-agents-pve: 4.0.10-2                                                                  
pve-cluster: 3.0-16                                                                         
qemu-server: 3.3-20                                                                         
pve-firmware: 1.1-3                                                                        
libpve-common-perl: 3.0-24                                                                  
libpve-access-control: 3.0-16                                                               
libpve-storage-perl: 3.0-31                                                                
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.4-3                                                              
vncterm: 1.1-8                                                                              
vzctl: 4.0-1pve6                                                                            
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2                                                                         
vzquota: 3.1-2                                                                             
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.1-12                                                                       
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1                                                                   
glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-1

qmconfig give me :
Code:
boot: dcn                                                                                    
bootdisk: ide0                                                                               
cores: 2                                                                                     
cpu: host                                                                                    
cpuunits: 50000                                                                              
ide0: local:103/vm-103-disk-1.qcow2,format=qcow2,size=62G                                    
ide2: none,media=cdrom                                                                      
memory: 4096                                                                                 
name: corisv2                                                                                
net0: rtl8139=5A:8B:B8:E4:BD:D1,bridge=vmbr0                                                
net1: rtl8139=2E:D3:D0:1E:1A:0F,bridge=vmbr1                                                
numa: 0                                                                                      
onboot: 1                                                                                    
ostype: w2k                                                                                  
smbios1: uuid=2f3bcac3-2072-43ca-833d-9ab74dbcb147                                           
sockets: 1                                                                                   
vga: cirrus

Last edited:
Strange, config is ok. Should work fine. Can you test your VM an an actual PVE?

Yes, this config works.
But when i try with 4 CPU (1X4 or 2X2), the VM randomly freeze after several hours of uptime.
CTRL+ALT+DEL makes it go again for some times...

Sadly, upgrade our PVE to 4.4 is not possible for the moment. I'll try some classic
Code:
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

EDIT : We're now on 3.4-16

Last edited:
The principal question is : why we can't run it with more than 2 vCPU ?

Also, vzcpucheck -v give me :

Code:
vzcpucheck -v
VEID            CPUUNITS  
  0               1000
102             1000
104             1000
103             1000
 Current CPU utilization: 4000 
Power of the node: 2520430

Despite CPUUNITS are modified for our vm (ID : 103).....

Last edited:
Maybe search in some KVM Forums for help... or is depending on some special application on your 2000 Server... have you tested a fresh 2000 Installtion?

Unfortunately we can't do a fresh install since our applications are out-dated and we don't own them (licences...). FYI, the company who sold us these applications doesn't exist anymore..

I managed to install proxmox on a "test server" and updated it to the lastest stable version. I then backed up our w2k on it. It seems to be more efficient but can't really test our applications on it sadly....
Other intel: Our live server will be soon (early june) in maintenance (1/year).

So maybe we'll try to get it to the last version and see if it improves perfomances

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!