VZDUMP stuck - can't kill vzdump task

same problem.

root 2384347 0.0 0.1 527388 91152 ? Ds Dec08 0:03 task UPID:****-**:002461DB:17DADFF4C:5FCFBF21:vzdump::root@pam:

cant kill the pid. there must be some service that not pvestatd that controlls this prosses.

any input on how to fix this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-12-10_09-52-22.png
    Screenshot_2020-12-10_09-52-22.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 21
okey. this is a workround for the cant kill -9 PID PROBLEM

for example:
umount -f /mnt/pve/<NAME OF MOUNT> and then kill it in consol by kill -9 or in gui. takes 1min but easy to fix.

Can't umount it either. "Target is busy"...

I've yet to have a single successful backup with proxmox, it always freezes at some point and can't be killed. My NAS performs perfectly fine with replications and other backup jobs through rsync from other hosts.

Is vzdump just broken?

This causes all sorts of issues that end up requiring a host restart, which is pretty unacceptable.

Last edited:
okey. this is a workround for the cant kill -9 PID PROBLEM

for example:
umount -f /mnt/pve/<NAME OF MOUNT> and then kill it in consol by kill -9 or in gui. takes 1min but easy to fix.
didn't work for me,
umount succeeds, but still can not stop vzdump (vzdump --stop or kill -9 $ID)

@a5e0n i allso did have to restart pvedaemon services to get it to "let go of NFS"

i got this error TASK ERROR: command 'systemctl restart pvedaemon' failed: received interrupt without it

Hello, I have a cluster with version 7.4-3. I had such a problem with mounting SMB(cifs) until I found the solution:

Do not click STOP button of the task.
Open a shell to the appropriate node and type:

umount -f -l /mnt/pve/<<mount point>> && vzdump --stop

task stops for a few seconds.
-l is required because <<mount point>> is busy.

Works like a charm for me.

Reactions: Alex24
root@proxmox2:~# umount -f -l /mnt/pve/<<mount point>> && vzdump --stop
stopping backup process 2428713 failed

Doesnt work for me. Its a SMB/CIFS share too :(

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!