vzdump prune only

hazaqames477

Apr 3, 2024
My backup target filled up. Using other backup software in this situation, I would typically invoke a prune or retention process (also called a zero-byte backup w/ subsequent retention) which would usually bring it back from the cliff. Then I could adjust my retention settings to avoid this in the future. I just attempted vzdump 101 --prune-backups ... but this invoked a backup first! How can I invoke a prune only?

The vzdump utility is for creating backups only and the --prune-backups argument is only for overwriting the settings that were configured on the storage-level. It seems like pvesm set <storage> --prune-backups <options> and/or pvesm prune-backups <storage> would be the better fit for you, see here for the documentation on it (or man 1 pvesm).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!