vzdump : bwlimit modified but no speed increase...

Well, many thanks for all your answers and support during my tests !

Now, i have to take the final choice : raw or qcow2 lol :p...

Thank you.

Hint: qcow2 image grows as soon as you really use the disk.

What is your real thought ?

Are you talking about it as a pro or a con ?

For me, at least, it's a pro...

But, even if raw "displays" the whole disk size , it only really uses the used disk space...at least on all VM i tested..

Finally, i chose QCOW2 format :p !

In fact, RAW seemed better but i made various tests and i can confirm it : RAW backups too slow (you already explained me why !)

Thank you very much !

What is your real thought ?

Are you talking about it as a pro or a con ?

As soon as you use space on the qcow2 disk it will grow, and it will be soon as large as the raw image (depends on the usage scenario). The backup will take as long as with raw disks.

But, even if raw "displays" the whole disk size , it only really uses the used disk space...at least on all VM i tested..

That is true. Nethertheless, we have to read the whole data (even the blocks containing zeros).

- Dietmar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!